Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• Reluctantly, I have to accept I am not going to get any discounts from Virgin unless I exchange my V+ box for a Tivo box.
    They tell me if I do this my bill will come down to about £34. I presently have anytime calls, 70 mbps broadband, M+ TV service and my RLS is still active. Suppose I could change my phone package to weekend calls only, which would bring it down to about £26, although when you factor in that I'll be paying nearly £200 soon if I stay and renew the RLS, it's not that cheap really is it?
    Thinking of asking them if I can reduce the power of my broadband. I'm single, not a gamer, just surf the net, so probably don't need mega - powerful broadband, as my needs are quite simple.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    yeah knock BB down to 50Mbps.

You could buy a V+ box off ebay and swap the card over maybe?
  • mro
    mro Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I rang them before. My current package is Super Fibre 70, M+ TV and V+ recorder box, talk anytime calls.
    This costs me £42.26 (inclusive of £3 a month credit) and rental line saver currently active, expires January 2017. I understand price increase takes effect 1st November.
    I asked what discounts could they offer. I was told they could reduce price to £34 - ish, but this was contingent on swapping my V+ box for a Tivo box. I've had this same message a few months ago when the last price increase hit. It irks me somewhat that I have to accept something I don't really want to secure a better deal.
    However, I may have to do this eventually because they really seem intent on getting rid of V+ boxes, and I suspect the first time something goes wrong with mine, they'll tell me it's irreparable.
    Are Tivo boxes any good? Also Talk Talk seem to be getting a lot of publicity at the moment. Maybe it's time to move to them?
    Are you paying Rental Line Saver on top of £42.26/month ?

How much is Rental Line Saver, for how long ?

Does £42.26 includes a £3 discount for 12/18 month contract, so normal price is £45.26/month ?

Was their ~£34/month offer for full length of contract, 12/18 months with Rental Line Saver on top ?
  • mro wrote: »
    Are you paying Rental Line Saver on top of £42.26/month ? YES I AM

How much is Rental Line Saver, for how long ? EXPIRES JAN 2017

Does £42.26 includes a £3 discount for 12/18 month contract, so normal price is £45.26/month ? NO

Was their ~£34/month offer for full length of contract, 12/18 months with Rental Line Saver on top ? YES

Why do you ask please?
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Because if you are then thats seriously expensive. For the last 3 years (possibly 4) I've paid £30 for

TV M (now player package)
    BB 50
    Phone XL with multitalk 1000 or variants of this
    Tivo
    Line rental included.

It looks like you are paying about £60 all in for something similar but with 70Mb BB.

One thing I dont understand is why you are reluctant to move from the V+ to a TIVO box?

and you dont generally get a good deal just by asking. I'd phone up and say you have checked the alternatives and realise that you've been paying seriously over the odds for a pretty basic package and that you can get much better elsewhere. Ask to cancel and they will call you back in a few days. Make sure you do your homework though so you can say what the alternative package you are look at has and costs.
  • mro
    edited 18 November 2016 at 12:59PM
    Why do you ask please?
    Devil is in detail.

Initially I thought you were on good deal at £42.26/month for everything, TV/Phone/Broadband.

Think Rental Line Saver is £200/year, which will add £16.67 to that.

So think you are paying ~£58.93/month equivalent before Nov 16 price increase.

I am paying ~£47/month for everything TV/Phone/Broadband before Nov 16 price increase. My price has increased massively over last few years and need to get it down.

mro wrote: »
    Does £42.26 includes a £3 discount for 12/18 month contract, so normal price is £45.26/month ? NO
    You said earlier "This costs me £42.26 (inclusive of £3 a month credit)", what do you mean by this, as you answered No to my question on this.
  • mro
    latecomer wrote: »
    Because if you are then thats seriously expensive. For the last 3 years (possibly 4) I've paid £30 for

TV M (now player package)
    BB 50
    Phone XL with multitalk 1000 or variants of this
    Tivo
    Line rental included.

It looks like you are paying about £60 all in for something similar but with 70Mb BB.

One thing I dont understand is why you are reluctant to move from the V+ to a TIVO box?

and you dont generally get a good deal just by asking. I'd phone up and say you have checked the alternatives and realise that you've been paying seriously over the odds for a pretty basic package and that you can get much better elsewhere. Ask to cancel and they will call you back in a few days. Make sure you do your homework though so you can say what the alternative package you are look at has and costs.
    How are you getting that price ?

How are they giving you a discount, per month discount on normal price or one-off credit ?

Are you starting a new contract each time you get a deal ?

Do you know standard price of your package before any discount ?
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 November 2016 at 5:09PM
    Thats what they offered 3-4 years ago and every year I threaten to cancel when they put up the price. when I ask why I'm leaving I explain its due to the price increase. Once I get a call back I explain that I'm happy to pay £30 for the service but I can get better value elsewhere and ask them if there is anything they can do about the price. Each time I've been offered what I've asked for. I make the point that TV has no real value as its basically freeview and I could go back to a PVR to be able to record.

I dont know the standard price but you could quickly look at the Virgin site and get an idea.

I am starting a new contract every year

The way they arrive the price changes each time. Last year they paid the line rental for me and then discounted the remaining amount to £30. Previously I paid the line rental and they discounted the package more to get the same figure.

this year the person I spoke to in retentions acknowledged I'd been with them for a long time (approx 9 years now) and said she'd see what she can do. I said I'd signed up for the MSE sky deal but it hasn't yet been installed. She came back with an offer which was £14 excluding TV. I asked about the price with TV and she offered £16 per month for everything as above, including line rental. First bill is even better than this but its got a partial month credit so wont know the exact amount until next month.

EDIT: just had a quick look and they are currently offering
    • Player TV
    • SuperFibre 50 Broadband
    • Talk Weekends
    • includes TIVO
    For £29 including line rental which is a lot better than I've seen before. I think the any time calls is about £8-10 extra per month
  • mro wrote: »
    You said earlier "This costs me £42.26 (inclusive of £3 a month credit)", what do you mean by this, as you answered No to my question on this.
    Sorry it was near my bedtime and I was feeling a bit groggy.
    I believe the £3 credit was given to me about 2 months ago and is to run for 3 months.
  • Just got off the phone after speaking to a very nice young lady at Virgin (makes such a difference when the staff you speak to are nice and approachable).
    Anyway I've decided to stay with 'em. I did say initially I wanted to leave and quoted this deal with TalkTalk....
    https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/
    However, after discussing my account, I was offered an 18 month contract (6 months at approx £21, 12 months at £26) if I renewed my RLS (£196)
    For this I'll get -
    70mbs
    Free weekend calls
    M+ TV (or the equivalent)
    TIVO box
    The box is being delivered 5th December and I'll install it myself (if they do it, it'll cost me £40)
    Even with this deal I don't think It'll be cheaper than TalkTalk, but I've been with Virgin for a long time and have, by and large, found their service very good, so am feeling reasonably happy and sanguine with the choice I've made.
    Thank you everybody for input and advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback