Little Money Making Scheme

Comments

• Mrs_Money
    Mrs_Money Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi GregHesp
    you're reasonable with photoshop - have you tried ideas like selling your photos on line? Don't know how successful this is though! There is always Cafe Press as well (for using your photos/designs on mugs, t-shirts etc) and they sell them for you - again, I don't know how lucrative it is.
    Also even if you can't use Adsense any more on your websites - what about other ad providers - there is more about this on these forums somewhere- just do a search - but Commission Junction springs to mind and Never Blue Ads (haven't tried these myself so have no knowledge how much they will earn you).
    Also you can do on-line surveys - not great - some pay cash and some pay Amazon vouchers - not a reliable income as they don't send them very often, but it may all ad to the pot! There's some links to survey sites here and one is just for students.
    Good Luck!
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    are you at one of the manchester universities?

try getting some information on a bursary, they are available for a wide range of students. i was in a bit of a hole (nothing this bad (i'm not saying your situation is bad, but you know...)) and i found out i can (and will be getting) a bursary from the uni.

even if they say no, you wont know until you find out. i'm getting an extra £660 from my uni through the bursary system.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • As Mrs Money said, there are plenty of alternatives to adsense, which often pay higher.
    From my site, Money Making Student, I've found making a large income difficult. I find I don't have enough time to promote it, but my current income pays for a couple of pints a week!
    Online surveys are time consuming, I suggest Toluna, as they often give you points when your not part of the target group. I'm currently awaiting a couple of £5 vouchers from them to spend in sainsbury.
    Also try looking for home tutoring work, I hear that can often pay well, and can help you apply what you are learning at the moment.

Hope that helps,
    Martyn.
  • Stubert
    Stubert Posts: 733 Forumite
    Yeah online surveys aren't really worth the money compared to the amount of time it takes to fill them out. Do some more work at Waitrose.

Also lie to fit criteria. Make yourself as interesting as possible and don't say you know anybody who works in any of those fields.
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • looking at your food bill, i really thnk you could get that down by £25....i'm a student in notts and last year when i lived in student accommdtion i only spent £25 on food a fornight, if that.
    :cool:"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith:cool:
  • Look at getting another job in Nottingham - maybe just an evenining a week - do you have wednesday afternoons off?
    Also since you're going to be on placement next year which i presume is paid I wouldnt be to concerned about dipping in to your overdraft - that's what it's there for and is a form of 'good debt' - I'm assuming you have a student account?
    Everyone needs a volume control -
    When you shout every day and make everthing a catastrophe,
    no one will hear you when you need to say something really important.
  • GregHesp wrote: »

I have planned my money and its as showed

Income - £200 per month
    Outgoing - £100 per month - bills
    £40 per month - travel
    £75 per month - food

Total - £215. Thats -£15 a month but probably a bit more, like when i go home I may go the cinema and when she comes to see me we go for a drink.
    Lets say £50, that leaves me £65 short.

Hiya, from one fellow Nottingham student to another...

Firstly have you got a rail card? you're travelling home on the train I assume and you could be saving 1/3 every time you travel, there is an inital £24 to pay for card but it soon pays for itself

Secondly: food, £75 could be cut down by careful meal planning and budget shopping, can you cook? have you got a freezer? cooking meals from scratch and meal planning has saved me no end of money. Look for and learn how to cook cheap cuts of meat, make soups...there are loads of ways you can eat cheap and healthy on a budget. (I'd be happy to share more if you want or you could look on the Old Style board for lots of tips) Do you take a packed lunch? A flask instead of buying coffee? If you are into fizzy drinks buy a big bottle and decanter it into smaller bottles - all sounds really geeky but ways to cut down the cash when you're skint.

Thirdly - bills - does this include everything? mobile, elec, gas? Do you house share? are there any ways you can cut down energy consumption? Do you have internet at home that you could perhaps cancel and rely on the uni facilities? Is there anything else you could cancel? Gym, insurance policies? etc?

You could always look for a job in Nottingham? There are plenty of agencies, my poor boyfriend (also a student) worked in a factory for a few months last summer until something he'd rather do came along and I did an early morning cleaning job for min wage just to bring some extra cash in. This year we're surviving on our loans only by getting super money savvy and acting like money saving geeks!
    *wonders when they will make dressing gowns acceptable day wear?*
    No new toiletries challenge - use up the stash first!
    NSD Jan 2/15
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    When I was at Uni I worked every summer. In 18 weeks I earned £4200 and it didn't pay amazingly. The extra you earn by working full time over the summer should more than compensate for the deficit you experience through the other months.
  • welf_man
    welf_man Posts: 564 Forumite
    You'd do better to get a job where you study and not spend so much on travel home. I'm afraid that seeing your gf every weekend really isn't practical at the moment!

Also, if your placement next year is paid, then get a car when you can afford it, IF you really need one.

You certainly need to look at bills expenditure - £100 a month seems pretty high for a single student.

Mel.
    Though no-one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending.

(Laurie Taylor, THE no. 1864)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport