PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Kittie I really enjoyed reading your post,thank you very much. Re the olive oil, it can go cloudy if the temperature it is kept in is too low, but it does not spoil the oil . It will clear again when moved to a warmer place. The best way to keep it in small amounts is in dark plastic bottles.As you use it you can squeeze the air out and it will keep it fresh. You can also make it into a spread by putting it in a small tub in the freezer, but remember to return it to the freezer as soon as you have used it. It can be flavoured with herbs and garlic and frozen in little blocks in an ice cube tray for use in cooking. Hope this info is of some use to someone.

Had hardly any sleep again last night due to the storms coming back. We did not get the winds they forecast but boy, did we get the thunderstorms. At one point, around 4am, the whole house was shaking with the thunder. There has been quite a bit of damage to houses, olive trees blown over (some 200 years old) and many computers and electricals damaged with the lightning and power surges. For the first time ever its not taken off our electric, water and internet...miracles never cease! We are still on the dangerous weather warning till the weekend but at least we are getting the odd bit of sunshine between the storms. The North of Greece has got really heavy snow and the ski resorts are now all open. They are doing cheap offers for skiing for Greek families so that is good. I hate snow and Ice as I am scared of slipping and hurting myself so I won't be heading for the ski resorts.

If the weather is okay tomorrow I am going out to replenish some of my stocks as I have used a few in the last ten days while it has been so bad. The roads here are full of potholes and at the moment covered in gravel washed from the mountain and bits of trees. It's like an obstacle course of the worst kind on the back roads to the village.

Hope you are all managing to stay safe and warm. My daughter said its snowing really heavily where she is in the North East.
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    2T there was an article in the mail this morning saying the hospitals don't have enough basic items like disposeable gloves.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2012 at 3:55PM
    Thank you very much nuatha re umboshi and 2T re the lovely olive oil tips. I`ll be taking both on board from tomorrow

I finished at 2.30 not 1pm and got so hot that I had to swap my jumper for a t shirt, I should have changed out of my long skirt as I kept catching my knees and feet in it, every time I stood up. I did a massive sort out but can now see and reach all my dehydrated veggies, herbs and fruits. I have loads of jams, chutneys, pickles, bottled fruits and marmalades and I mean loads, all looking pristine so lots of shifting about went on under the stairs. I have a load of bags of Lg organic brown rice which completely filled a big old laundry basket in there, I went mad :) when ethical superstore had its 25% off everything sale. All pasta has now been moved to a two shelf cupboard in a cool room and that is all kamut or spelt and brown organic and also from the same place. I had to bring half of it down from the wardrobe :o. All that is left up there is a case of 12 packs of lasagne :o:o So that basically leaves buckwheat, quinoa, wheat groats, hemp seeds, flaxseeds but I do use them, the flaxseeds are mostly in my small spare fridge. Nuts too but I vac packed them weeks ago and they are fine and now handier and won`t go rancid as they were packed as soon as I got them home

2T your weather sounds surreal, like a movie really but I would not like to be in it. I am going to look for dark bottles soon and I do like the sound of the spread, so will make at least one tub today

oh and was delighted to find my net produce bags under there and also all my string bags that I thought I had lost. I should think I will be able to hang fruit in these bags, in the cool in the lean t, on hooks from the ceiling and it will be mouseproof. Maybe even a cabbage. I bought those bags ages ago and am so happy to have found them
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    unixgirluk wrote: »
    2T there was an article in the mail this morning saying the hospitals don't have enough basic items like disposeable gloves.

The main problem is that the Greek government have not been paying money owed to the hospitals and pharmacies. So now they owe almost 9 billion to them and can't pay it to them. I read that 4000 pharmacies were on the edge of bankruptcy as they took out loans so they could keep providing people with medicine. At times they are not providing things on prescription even if we have health insurance, we have to pay for them in full and try to claim the money back next year. It takes weeks and months to stand in queues and claim it and most never get paid back.

I don't know about disposable gloves being in short supply (they are cheap here and the hospitals are paranoid about AIDS and infections like MRSA) but drugs and some equipment have been in short supply for the last eighteen months or so. We stocked up on our meds (with long use by dates) and first aid stuff. If you need an injection you have to pay for a nurse or learn to do it yourself for your family. The doctor taught me! Things are very different here...

Kittie, I am glad the tips were helpful re the olive oil. You are right, the weather is Surreal....I took one look at the clouds and thought of the 2012 disaster movie (which they are showing on Sunday just to make us feel better!). I have never been scared of thunderstorms but the last few have made me feel apprehensive about what might be coming next. I am so glad we have to have full insurance (including earthquake) due to having a mortgage. The insurance is different here.....it covers enough to rebuild the house as it was before damage and our house is 300 years old with marble steps and oak floors and roof. It would cost a fortune hence the massive amount we pay each year for the insurance..650 euros for the building.

One good thing is that they never claim something was ''an act of God'' , I asked about it when I first got the insurance and the reply was ''why on earth would God do damage to a house?''........quite right LOL.:A

My daughter rang me today and told me they have heavy snow. She asked me if I had heard about all the scaremongering about 21 st of December and I said I had and that I planned to have a nice tipple (I am usually a non drinker ) and a big box of chocolates in the house, just in case on that day.....and she said she had just been to buy her big box of chocolates for the event.....lol....brilliant minds think alike!

My OH said he is apprehensive but not worried but I have a definite feeling of Que Sera , Sera....what will be , will be. Why worry? It will probably turn out just the same as December 21st usually does...
    Our ferries are cancelled once again...about the tenth time in a couple of weeks, I am beginning to think we won't be able to get away for a few days at Christmas. Many of our friends have booked flights back to the UK but with the weather as bad as it is I have my doubts if they are going to get off either. It's going to be a long wait to see if it clears in time.
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    We got snow last night and its lain frozen solid all day. Was at minus 3 in mid afternoon, might go down a good bit yet. Roads mainly gritted but the back one through the hills was fun :) At least I don't have to trek out to work in it so I can enjoy it..
    Went to Costco for
    erm
    cake
  • missrlr
    missrlr Posts: 2,192 Forumite
    oh C0stc0 cake, trouble is I can eat a whole one, and I always end up buying more stuff, just because, it is a dangerous place. Although the pork loin steaks were half the price of any other pork product even at my butchers so I had to get a few!

Daft tenant has put too high wattage light bulbs in the kitchen and is overloading the transformer, apparently I now need to change the lights!!1 Erm I think not, get lower watt light bulbs
    Start info Dec11 :eek:
    H@lifax [STRIKE]£13813.45[/STRIKE] paid Sep14 paid 23 months early :T
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£206400[/STRIKE] :eek: £199750 Mortgage £112500
    B@rclays £[STRIKE]25000[/STRIKE] paid 4 years 5 months early. S@ntander £[STRIKE]9300[/STRIKE] paid 2 years 2 months early
    2013 8lb lost 2014 need to lose 14lb. Lost 4 so far!;)
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    2tonsils wrote: »
    My daughter rang me today and told me they have heavy snow. She asked me if I had heard about all the scaremongering about 21 st of December and I said I had and that I planned to have a nice tipple (I am usually a non drinker ) and a big box of chocolates in the house, just in case on that day.....and she said she had just been to buy her big box of chocolates for the event.....lol....brilliant minds think alike!

we're travelling on part one of our two day trek to the other side of scotland for christmas on the 21st, if it all goes to pot at least we'll get our time in at the christmas faire and get to see the hobbit, mind you we'll be sleeping in a travelodge so hmmm :rotfl:

i don't have any fear of anything, that calendar had to stop at some point, my worst concern for the day is the points freezing up on the rails or them giving away my room i booked 6 months ago etc etc

still the idea of a tipple and a box of chocolates sounds good, any excuse right? :p
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    As said on another thread SHTF around 12.20 today here...the electric went off. It came back approx an hour later but yes I did not have any hot water in the flasks, I was not hungry as it happened but I had access to water, UHT milk or fruit juice and could make sandwiches.

My worry was had it gone on for hours all my valued yellow stickered items would be lost in the freezer. I only use one light at night and yet I was happy the power cut happened before night set in even though I can use torches and candles/tealights.

It affected most of the town including the shops.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2012 at 7:47PM
    TeaCake wrote: »

cheers for that, i don't have a kindle yet but i use the kindle for pc thing, hmm if i get enough amazon vouchers for christmas i may get one, wonder if they'll be knocked down in the january sales, i'm amassing quite a haul of free or really cheap books to read :T

the thought occured to me that with a small solar charger, if you could get your favourite survival and forgaing handbooks for kindle it would actually be practical to take with you in your BOB or have at home if you bug in a SHTF scenario. i know they make some really small lightweight portable ones, i may look into that, you could also get local maps/atlas etc on kindle i bet, the solar charger thing makes that feasible

just store in a homemade faraday cage if concerned about emp, massive coronal ejection etc etc

hmmmmmm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport