Failed British Gas Credit Check

Hi there. Hoping someone can help. We bought our flat a year ago, and it had a prepayment electric meter. I've just got round to ringing British Gas to change it to a normal meter, but when she did the credit check, I failed.

I have a mortgage, a credit card with a small amount on, of which I pay a chunk off each month, a mobile contract, the usual amount of credit I'd say.

I have moved three times in three years (that's London renting!) until buying this place a year ago.

I cannot understand why I've failed something so seemingly small as a utility credit check! At 32, this is the first time I've had a prepay meter, and it was purely because the flat we moved into already had it.

My one thought was that I have just got married and have changed my name - I explained that on the phone to British Gas, and said obviously I have no credit in my new name, she said it wouldn't matter, she added my previous name to the check.

Can any one shed any light on why I might have failed?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Electoral role registration?
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    hi OP I had the same problem when I originally applied for a credit meter in here. Credit report I had showed was fine. So I phoned their complaints department. Long story short the person on the complaints end was able to process the complaint and get me a credit meter.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • no i'm on that...
  • ooh well I might give that a try! thank you!
  • Best solution; move to EDF. No credit check, and credit meter will be available.

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that since EDF don't report your account to the CRAs there's little or no chance of you being erroneously blacklisted - something that happens all the time with the other suppliers.
  • Anybody else living in the flat???
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family