PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

1558559560561562564»

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I did that recently blackcatsx2. There's a lot less email to deal with each day as a result :) You should be able to keep on top of the odd ones that come in now, unsubscribing as you go.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I have also done this with a number of sites. Apart from very occasional use of Amazon i haven,t bought a single thing from any of the others and I hesitate to think how much time I have wasted over the past year just scanning through them and deleting.

But has anybody else suffered from those annoying promotional sites who have an " unsubscribe me" link at the bottom of the pages, and then when you click on it to try and unsubscribe, you get dragged further into their advertising and there is no unsubscribe facility? I don't know whether that allows them simply to confirm your email address is active but some of them simply don't easily unsubscribe you as they suggest. How do you go about getting rid of them?

One particular bugbear site for me is a certain brand of sunglasses which keeps popping out through the woodwork no matter how many times I try to unsubscribe myself !:eek:
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Primrose you can try reporting them as spam. It does get them reported to all of the email accounts and gets them black marks. If they have .com in their email address there is actually a US law they have to comply with called can.spam.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    That's helpful. Would do this if I knew who to forward or report it to.
    Do you have a contact email address please?
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 December 2015 at 8:02PM
    I presume it is canspam.com but I expect Google will know. Keep on reporting it as spam and it will end up blacklisted. It may not be the certain brand of sunglasses that is paming you but a dealer. can.spam only works on .com not any other website. I used to have a website so I had to confirm my details every year to them. Sorry I did not keep the address.

I looked up can-spam and it gave me this page on wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN-SPAM_Act_of_2003
  • pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hiya All

Re 2016 - I think we should start an NBI 2016 thread with a link on pg 1 to this thread - does anyone know how to do this? I am happy to admin - if I know how?
    Evening all

Hi, I think I know how to start the new thread with the link to this one if you want me to try and set it up tonight, but I'm not sure about the admin bit
  • Happy new year.
    I am aiming to not spend in 2016 as well. I have managed to save a substantial amount this year. Today I took a small amount of stuff to a Cs plus some to recycle I then came home and started sorting out again. I will get it boxed up and donated nest week.Its piled up and in the way at the moment. I will also have to think about using flebay as I have stuff to sell.

Tomorrow I will sort out the CDS promise.
  • Happy New Year to all on the good ship NBI! Looking forward to posting on NBI 2016.

I've had IT issues, hence my absence, but back online now.

I tackled a difficult situation re Christmas gifts this year, and I hope a particular friend will now stop giving me (unwanted and not needed) gifts. I've been asking her directly for literally years to scale back, but she has insisted on giving me what she thinks I need... cue trips to the charity shop and a heart-sink feeling that yet again she hasn't respected my request, when she knows fine well I have limited space, have particular tastes and I'm also unable and unwilling to reciprocate on the same scale - I usually give her and her husband something consumable and made by me, both to save the environment as well as my purse... and to make it personal.

She left the prices on this year, and said she would exchange anything unsuitable, so I took her at her word, and asked her to take three items back, save the reimbursed money and not buy anything else for me, as there truly is nothing I need.

I think this time, she has finally heard me! And at long last she's taken me seriously, as she has chosen to take offence! But she was the one who left the price tickets on, and offered to take the items back if they didn't suit!

Almost all of my other friends have agreed to give each other a hug for Christmas, bar one other, who thinks I am very odd! But after a few uncomfortable years, has finally realised I really don't like being given stuff I don't want or need! Our poor planet can't withstand the waste of resources!!

It also sits ill with me when there is so much destitution and need, to be showered with an excess of stuff just because. It's too out of scale for me, and it's just a pity that she's chosen to ignore my oft-repeated requests to scale back, and only now is finally getting it, but choosing to take the huff! But I am hopeful that the message will stick this time!

All the best for 2016, may your pennies stay safely in your purses! They will quickly become £££!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well said Wee Midgie too often we end up buying stuff we can't afford for people we rarely see anyway and they do the same for us.

I cut back on my cards this year and the folk I wanted to wish a happy Christmas to I did, and the others I just didn't.

I told everyone (which is true) that I was cutting back on cards unless it was my immediate family and the rest of them I have made a donation towards the Salvation Army.They need the cash more than acquaintances need a piece of cardboard and an envelope which will go into landfill.

A few got miffed and sniffy so they are permanently off my 'friends' list of folk I wish to be friends with.The rest said what a great idea and we'll join you

I must admit I did start telling everyone around the beginning of December to give it a chance to sink in :):):):) I still ended up with over 60 cards though
    Memo to myself : must start reminding folk earlier next year

No buying for me for awhile at least and definitely no food buying at all until probably next Wednesday when I will run out of veggie.

I made a large vat of celery soup yesterday which will last for three or four days at least.Lots of stuff still to use up in the cupboards so I shan't go hungry I am still at DDs until tomorrow afternoon then home to take my tree down and dekkies

Nice meal out last night with the family and we went back to watch the fireworks on TV.
    Today just helping DD tidy up around the house and get things straight after the Christmas and New Year period. I can see me taking a good few left overs home as well to use up:):):) every little helps

Hope everyone has had a good new year and we can all look forward to what 2016 will bring
    Cheers everyone
    JackieO xxx
  • pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

There is a new thread for anyone wanting to continue on this journey

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5385667
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories