speed awareness course

roebag
roebag Posts: 4 Newbie
hi ,just received conditional offer of fixed penalty for speeding at 38 miles per hour in 30 zone, they wont me to pay £60 with 3 points ,can i go on a course somewhere evan if it is in another county , if other people get this option ,shouldnt i , i dont wont the 3 points . the fine is in the county of bedfordshire, any help thanks

Comments

• b33r
    b33r Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you don't want the points I guess the best advice is not to speed ;)

Can't help you though, if the course hasn't been offered to you then it either isn't available in your area or your speed was too high. No idea where i got it this from but have a feeling its only offered for just over the 10% +3, i.e. upto 37.
  • Minxy_Bella
    Minxy_Bella Posts: 1,948 Forumite
    b33r wrote: »
    If you don't want the points I guess the best advice is not to speed ;)

Can't help you though, if the course hasn't been offered to you then it either isn't available in your area or your speed was too high. No idea where i got it this from but have a feeling its only offered for just over the 10% +3, i.e. upto 37.

I think you're right. I was caught doing 37mph and luckily got offered the course - which was BRILLIANT! It certainly made me change my silly way of 'London driving'.

I don't think you get the choice, OP - so you'll have to suck it up and pay up, I'm afraid.
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The paperwork I received (in the Thames Valley) said a course may be offered for 35-39mph.

The course isn't a right though, so you cannot demand one. If it isn't offered, take the 3 points on the chin.
  • Chippy_Minton_2
    Chippy_Minton_2 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    roebag wrote: »
    just received conditional offer of fixed i dont wont the 3 points . the fine is in the county of bedfordshire, any help thanks
    Drive back to Bedfordshire, within the speed limit and do the course.:rolleyes:
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • The Speed Awareness Scheme aims to improve the driving skills of people that drive with the goal of preventing accidents in the future.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    roebag wrote: »
    hi ,just received conditional offer of fixed penalty for speeding at 38 miles per hour in 30 zone, they wont me to pay £60 with 3 points ,can i go on a course somewhere evan if it is in another county , if other people get this option ,shouldnt i , i dont wont the 3 points . the fine is in the county of bedfordshire, any help thanks

i dont think all countys have the course though, you cant depend you go on it
  • Petree
    Petree Posts: 139 Forumite
    Did your paperwork come from TVP? Not sure if Bedfordshire is part of it or not?

The order I got paperwork was
    1) Letter saying 'someone was caught speeding in AB57 ABC, let us know who'
    2) Replied with yes it was me, pleading guilty - £60 and 3 points :(
    3) Letter saying 'you have been selected for speed awareness course, would you like to do or prefer £60 and 3 points?'
    4) Replied - well course clearly! And card details as course costs £100
    5) Letter from the course people about doing online training and then booking slot to attend
    6) Attended and then had to do online modules before all completed.

So if you're still on letter one, then you won't know about course, I think it depends on where you were caught, age, speed etc. I was doing 52 in a 40 if this helps?

Good Luck!
  • Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Drive back to Bedfordshire, within the speed limit and do the course.:rolleyes:

OP has not actually been offered a course.

I had two NIPs from Beds (Luton Area) about 4 years ago.

I just ignored them and they went away.
  • Chippy_Minton_2
    Chippy_Minton_2 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Petree wrote: »
    Did your paperwork come from TVP? Not sure if Bedfordshire is part of it or not?

Funnily enough Bedfordshire is in Bedfordshire, nowt to do with Happy Valley.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure