EDF and the four year bill

GingerBob_3
GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
edited 28 February 2015 at 8:55PM in Energy
EDF are getting on my wick a bit now. I've been reasonably happy for the most part, till October last year when I had a hell of job to get a £300+ refund off them (and they put my DD up by 25%). Now, after the winter period, they've refunded me another £40 and put my direct debit down by 25%!

Next thing I get a bill. It does include the £40 refund, but it's not just any old bill, but a bill covering four year (yes, 4 years), and stating that it replaces all other bills sent in that time. OK, you might think, no problem, but - they've replaced all actual readings during this period (which do appear on other bills I've been sent) with estimates covering start and end readings at numerous price change points, tariff changes and even splits between my economy 7 readings on the electric. You need to be an accountant to get to grips with it!

Maybe it all works in my favour, but I bet it doesn't. So now I've got to go back over four years bills and try and reconcile the situation. Like I say, they are really getting on my wick. I'm considering my options.

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GingerBob wrote: »
    EDF are getting on my wick a bit now. I've been reasonably happy for the most part, till October last year when I had a hell of job to get a £300+ refund off them (and they put my DD up by 25%). Now, after the winter period, they've refunded me another £40 and put my direct debit down by 25%!

Next thing I get a bill. It does include the £40 refund, but it's not just any old bill, but a bill covering four year (yes, 4 years), and stating that it replaces all other bills sent in that time. OK, you might think, no problem, but - they've replaced all actual readings during this period (which do appear on other bills I've been sent) with estimates covering start and end readings at numerous price change points, tariff changes and even splits between my economy 7 readings on the electric. You need to be an accountant to get to grips with it!

Maybe it all works in my favour, but I bet it doesn't. So now I've got to go back over four years bills and try and reconcile the situation. Like I say, they are really getting on my wick. I'm considering my options.

EDF are a bit of a law unto themselves I found.

However they were cheap when I was with them, and that presumably is what attracted you to them. However with no early exit fees you can switch without penalty if you have found something cheaper :)
    Otherwise I would stick with them and their peculiar ways.

In regards the setting of direct debits, don't ask me to explain how they get the figures they do. However, when I queried it direct with them, on several occassions, it was very easy to get the figure returned to the original one agreed (which was the correct level)

Similarly only EDF can explain to you why they have opted to replace your last 4 years bills based on actual readings with a revised bill based on estimated readings over that time.
    You are probably going to have to request that explanation in writing, as it's going to be complicated I'm sure (unless they take the same approach and agree without issue to revert it all back again)
  • GingerBob_3
    footyguy wrote: »
    Similarly only EDF can explain to you why they have opted to replace your last 4 years bills based on actual readings with a revised bill based on estimated readings over that time.
    You are probably going to have to request that explanation in writing, as it's going to be complicated I'm sure (unless they take the same approach and agree without issue to revert it all back again)

Thanks. I may ring them next week anyway, if I decide to go to their latest Blue Price promise. I'll also tackle them about the bill.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Strange, Ive been with EDF at least 8 years and have never had a problem with them.

I supply them with actual readings every 3 months and they are usually pretty accurate in setting up the amount of my DD. If I don't agree, they listen to me and my reasons, we discuss and both of us put the phone down happy .
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • If you have an E7 meter it sounds like a recent meter reading either by yourself, or likely a meter reader has caused the system to believe that the readings are transposed, eg the day and night have been billed the wrong way around from the start of your account, hence the re bill over the large period of time. I would check your latest bill and see if the readings for day and night have been flipped. If so, check a reading for example at 12 noon tomorrow then say 4pm and see which has advance (day) then call them and let them know if the latest bill is correct or incorrect.
  • GingerBob_3
    If you have an E7 meter it sounds like a recent meter reading either by yourself, or likely a meter reader has caused the system to believe that the readings are transposed, eg the day and night have been billed the wrong way around from the start of your account, hence the re bill over the large period of time. I would check your latest bill and see if the readings for day and night have been flipped. If so, check a reading for example at 12 noon tomorrow then say 4pm and see which has advance (day) then call them and let them know if the latest bill is correct or incorrect.

This is possible. They got the E7 reading the wrong way round once before. I'll be checking the whole thing in detail shortly. If it's in my favour I'll let it ride :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 March 2015 at 8:16PM
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Thanks. I may ring them next week anyway, if I decide to go to their latest Blue Price promise. I'll also tackle them about the bill.
    What about Sainsburys BG for a switch (dual fuel only ). they re beating EDF in my area, plus the £30 cashback of course, they will put you a smart meter in too ..lol...Most of my mates mess up the Eco 7 s then I come and get it right, then customer complains and they go back to transposing it again. I work for EDF, BG and Scot Power and I m an expert on Eco 7s..my mates have no idea what a timeswitch is
  • GingerBob_3
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    What about Sainsburys BG for a switch (dual fuel only ). they re beating EDF in my area, plus the £30 cashback of course, they will put you a smart meter in too ..lol...Most of my mates mess up the Eco 7 s then I come and get it right, then customer complains and they go back to transposing it again. I work for EDF, BG and Scot Power and I m an expert on Eco 7s..my mates have no idea what a timeswitch is

I've always been one for not changing supplier, if my current supplier has a reasonable deal, but now is maybe the time. As long as they don't foist a SM on me :)
  • GingerBob wrote: »
    I've always been one for not changing supplier, if my current supplier has a reasonable deal, but now is maybe the time. As long as they don't foist a SM on me :)
    You know the rules. the MPs have let you off and you decide whether you have one.
    I ve switched twice in the last few months collecting £60 cashback.
    I notice in the Cheapenergyclub list the top 4 all had warnings next to the listings....thats Scot Power, Npower, First Utility and Extra Energy.. Sainsburys Energy who were 5th came with no warnings.Their Eco 7 dual fuel takes some beating with the night rate at only 4 p ish, 25p dsc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure