Blogging

Hi all!

Thought this was the right place to post this :).

Does anyone else have a blog? Is it something you do for fun or do you make a little money from it?

I've recently started a blog on home/lifestyle and linked it to my Adsense but to be honest I think it'll remain a hobby instead of a money earner :rotfl: yesterday I made 8p! I didn't get many views compared to normal though as I didn't publish a new post! Although with my regular views I'd imagine if going by % it'd still only be about 20p! Oh well, it's a good job I enjoy it :T

Alice

Comments

• Jada90
    Jada90 Posts: 641
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Alice,

I've been blogging for four years now, I started in August 2012 and become self employed through it in October 2012!

It works for me but I know it doesn't work for everybody, there is a lot more to be earnt from blogging! I personally don't have adsense, but from fellow bloggers I know it's not the biggest of their incomes when it comes to blogging :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I earn a lot of money from my blog.

I get paid for sponsored posts, product reviews, hosting competitions, posting on my social media, advertising on Instagram and so much more.

It has taken me 2 years to build up to the level I am at and now I regularly have brands contacting me wanting to pay me to work with them. It has been a lot of hard work but I'm really grateful.
  • You can earn a full time wage from blogging but it is also a full-time job. I've been blogging on my current blog for a year and a half now but it's only in the last month I'm being approached by companies to write about them/include their sites etc and I'm bringing in a few hundred from that. I get about £25 every 3-4 months from Adsense (which includes YouTube earnings too) and about the same from Amazon Affiliates.

It's like any work from home, the more you put in to it the more you will see bac
  • I think blogging is one of the most underrated ways to make money from home.
  • Ah it's amazing to hear people are doing well from blogging - I am enjoying doing mine.

How do you make money from your blogs? I've got Adsense like I said but that's it so far! I've been offered a few freebies to promote but that's mainly down to my Instagram.

I have a good Instagram following which is steadily growing which is what made me decide to start a blog!
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 6:42PM
    Making money from blogging is all well and good, but I stop reading when bloggers sell themselves out. It's like blog prostitution, when they will literally put anything on their blog because they've been offered money to do so- regardless of whether it fits with their blog niche. I'd be embarrassed to do that and it will actually lose you genuine readers. Boy, they must be desperate for free stuff. I bet they end up flogging half of it on eBay because it's tat! My advice....don't sell out! Write your own blog posts because you're genuinely enthusiastic about what you're writing about- not because British Gas paid you to write about the importance of your elderly relatives keeping the heating on in the winter, when you're supposed to be writing about money-saving or food! I've seen that and much worse.

I have 2 successful blogs and write about subjects I'm genuinely interested in. HTH
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123
    Forumite
    alice_kate wrote: »
    Ah it's amazing to hear people are doing well from blogging - I am enjoying doing mine.

How do you make money from your blogs? I've got Adsense like I said but that's it so far! I've been offered a few freebies to promote but that's mainly down to my Instagram.

I have a good Instagram following which is steadily growing which is what made me decide to start a blog!

It depends. Some write sponsored posts, some receive freebies to test and some others earn through adverts although I heard adsense is usually aren't great. Money-making bloggers also earn from referrals to websites. So overall, I don't think there is a "one size fits all" approach to earning from a blog.
    ally.
  • I want to make a very simple 'banner site'. Basically a one page blog with banners, which function as referral links to my click / cashback sites I use. Something very no frills that I could do in a day.

I don't expect to make anything from it. It's more of an exercise in affiliate marketting and blog familiarising, a bit of fun.

Which would you choose? Blogspot, Wordpress or something else?
  • Olliegami
    Olliegami Posts: 414
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd love to know what websites you use, and what you guys blog about.

I'm using Wordpress at the moment, but having trouble with the application for Adwords.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716
    Forumite
    Wordpress is rated by my website designer and he knows about this stuff (obviously). You can also migrate it to use with a paid platform, so you won't lose content etc. You will get more functionality from a paid option, as with the free platform they put limits on ways you can earn through restricted functionality, size etc. With a paid option, you get your own domain name (which is paid for too, can be done separately) which drives more traffic to your site, makes it look better/more reputable etc.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family