Tales from The Shire

Comments

• Karmacat wrote: »
    Lovely clarity in your aims and the reassessments, FS, well done you.

Thank you Karma - we're getting there.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Mr F and I had quite a lazy day yesterday but we've stepped up a gear today.

Last night was the first time I'd felt that sharp cold that says "Make no mistake, Winter is coming". It prompted us to complete a few chores:
    • Mr F changed the broken bulb in an outside light. It's on the approach to the house so will help with gate opening/closing at night as well as providing a bit of additional security. Although we haven't tested it yet :o
    • I turned on the electric radiators in the annex. Just to frost setting - don't want any burst pipes in there :eek:
    • checked the heating oil level which has come down a bit but I don't think we'll have to re-order until after Christmas. Why do I feel like these are famous last words? Maybe there is snow coming :eek:
    • did the on-line grocery shop this morning. Came in under budget despite including all my Christmas cake and mincemeat ingredients :T
    • reconciled the credit card statement and found I'd made an error... in our favour :)
    • contacted a potential dog sitter to cover a Christmas event Mr F and I have been invited to.

So just the tip of the iceberg scaled as I have a long list of chores to complete this week. Better get on :)

Happy Monday

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy Monday to you too :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 November 2017 at 1:04PM
    I am doing well so far this week and keeping on top of the chores. MS-wise I have:
    • cleaned the en-suite and discovered a mould problem :eek: So have had to order some products to deal with that. Added some planned Christmas spends to the order to avoid delivery costs, used a £5 discount code and went through Avio$ to get the points (this particular retailer isn't on the cashback sites)
    • went to WI. £2 for parking, £1 for a raffle ticket and £8 for two glasses of wine - my turn to buy for new WI friend :) Still a cheap night out though
    • reconciled the bank accounts and everything balances :)
    • got my Secret Santa person so can start having a look round for a suitable present
    • booked Mr F and I into a local hostelry for Christmas dinner. It will be just the two of us on the day and I know who will end up doing all of the cooking if we stay at home ;)
    • had second session with dog trainer which was brilliant. Most of FDawg's training is maintenance now but we still need to work on his shyness around people and his fear aggression towards other dogs. We introduced him to a head collar and he was brilliant on it so I have invested in one. I think I'm going to book a third session with the trainer too, specifically to work on the dog aggression issue. It's expensive but I feel it's really important as it would be disastrous if FDawg hurt another dog or, worse, a human who got in the way. Not that I think he would ever hurt a person intentionally but it could easily happen accidentally if he was lunging and barking :eek:
    • the builder is starting the renovation work on either Friday or Monday :T Some equipment will be arriving on Friday in preparation. Farmer Giles has been in to start fencing off the area so the sheep can't get out whilst work is going on.
    So it's all go in The Shire.

Tomorrow is a cleaning day as I may have a friend staying at the weekend and there's some paperwork that needs doing too. Trying to keep busy so the time doesn't drag whilst Mr F is away. If all else fails, there's always filing :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Ta ta

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    All sounding good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    "Fear aggression" - briliantly concise phrase, that sums up so much of what little furry friends do. Thanks for that - and that trainer sounds really good.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    FDawg has a name! :)

Am not sure that attempting filing to help time pass is a good idea - have always personally found that filing seems to make time drag even more sloooowly! :D x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • beanielou wrote: »
    All sounding good :)

Thanks Beanie.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    "Fear aggression" - briliantly concise phrase, that sums up so much of what little furry friends do. Thanks for that - and that trainer sounds really good.

That's the term the trainer used Karma and it seems to sum up FDawg's response to other dogs. Attack as a form of defence apparently. Although a local farmer's collie sneaked in to join us when we were in the field yesterday and FDawg had no problem with him :) Maybe because FDawg was off the lead or maybe because the other collie is an old boy and behaved subserviently. Anyhow, FDawg has a friend now :)
    greent wrote: »
    FDawg has a name! :)

Am not sure that attempting filing to help time pass is a good idea - have always personally found that filing seems to make time drag even more sloooowly! :D x

Oops - I've inadvertently outed him :eek: Rectified now - it'll have to stay our secret Greent.

Fortune x
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Oops - I've inadvertently outed him :eek: Rectified now - it'll have to stay our secret Greent.

Fortune x

My lips are sealed too ;) although it did make him sound cuter :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I love FDawg as a name :D I did wonder whether the 'outing' was an accident - hence my comment and why I didn't quote your post :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure