Prepaid Envelopes

Comments

• loopyloo_4
    loopyloo_4 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Just reading through this thread and am amazed that some of you get mail by 10am!!!

I only get mail twice a week (2 big bundles, normally wednesdays and saturdays! usually at around 2pm if i'm lucky!

:-/
    Life is not about how many breaths you take.... Its about how many moments take your breath away

Member of £2 coin savers = total so far £8
  • jrgodfrey
    jrgodfrey Posts: 26 Forumite
    Have a drink on me!
    When I get junk mail with pre-paid envelopes I welcome them because it solves 2 problems. 1. Getting rid of those big plastic bottles likle Coke bottles that take up so much dustbin room and 2. Getting rid of supermarket plastic bags. What to do?
    Fill the bottle with water, 2 Litres is 2 Kilograms, Put the filled bottle in the bag, Seal it with selotape and stick the pre-paid envelope on the bag and post it sometimes with a note "Have a drink on me"
  • Savvy Sue wrote;
    If only the TPS could be used for business phone numbers. I have lost count of the number of sales people who have interrupted my work asking to speak to whoever is responsible for the phone bills. Fortunately I can head them off at the pass very quickly by saying we don't have BT phone lines!

Your prayers have been answered Sue.
    As from last Friday businesses can now subscribe to this service
    Follow this link to register;
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

The fun bit is listening to their reaction as you ask for the company details, as you give them a choice of reporting them to TPS or them paying you £100.

This ploy does work as I've personally received £50 from it and know of one person who has set up a tape recorder next to his phone to record any cold-calls.

Hope the first bit helps :)
  • raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    oh no! are the royal mail really going to bother forking out to take you to court for the price of a stamp?Or even a few postage stamps? I don't think so! So why not just reuse the envelopes, the likely hood anything would happen to you is more or less impossible!

Man was arrested last night for defrauding a junk mail firm for 26p,he plead guilty and he was sentenced to 6 months prison time. *MuhaHahAha*

No Royal Mail can't be bothered to take you to court. What they do is charge the recipient the unpaid postage fee, plus a handling charge of £1. When they spot it and they are spotting it more and more. Trust me, I work in a despatch department of a national organisation. We've had more little cards for unpaid postage in the last twelve months than we've had in the last five years put together. It's got so bad that we've started to leave stuff at the post office unless we are expecting book returns and even then it's being refused unless it's specificially addressed to the library.

If you get a card for unpaid postage, you don't have to pay for it. You can refuse the item or leave it at the post office and it will get returned to the sender after about three weeks.

The best thing to do is either destroy the junk mail or send it back to the sender using their own envelope, that is really going to get to them. Using their envelopes for something other than that does not mean they will get charged, if anything it mean's they won't.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Savvy Sue wrote;

Your prayers have been answered Sue.
    As from last Friday businesses can now subscribe to this service
    Follow this link to register;
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
    THANK YOU! Just registered. We haven't been able to do it until now as we are both a registered charity and a limited co and it didn't apply. Oh I am SO looking forward to talking to the next sales person!

Also I shall put this on the CH and SB bit of the board - crediting you, DigitalDave!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • kirkie_2
    kirkie_2 Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If I get a pre paid envelope I just seal it and send it back to them...If they want to send me junk mail I will send it back to them at there own cost.... ;)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Glad I found this thread. what I'm going to do with mine is put sticky label over them and use them to send sons school dinner money and milk money in.
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i re-use them for school money etc. and also re-use them using sticky labels for saving the environment etc. you can get them from oxfam but they do actually cost more than the cost of buying envelopes lol!

sending it back to the company is a fantastic idea, i love that lol!!!
    52% tight
  • Any junk mail I get with a pre paid envelope included, I carefully tear up the contents, making sure my name and address are left untouched and clearly visible, then place it all in the pre paid envelope and post it off.

I'm sure it keeps my junk mail down to an absolute minimum, and it gives me "an enormous sense of well-being".
  • nina_2
    nina_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    This is doing the email rounds at the moment.
    Post the junk email company back their unwanted info. in their prepaid envelope. Which means they are disposing of the unwanted content, not you. It also keeps the post office busy as email is reducing the demand for snail mail.
    If you wish to exclude any content with any personal info. on it, such as your name or address remove it before posting.

I do not take newspapers or magazines into my home. So most of the waste paper collection I heave out to the roadside each week is junk mail. After reading the above recently, I'm going to have a go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure