PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Scones..how can i get them to rise..

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    catznine wrote:
    I get the best results when I use milk that has "turned slightly" I know the idea sounds yukky but the scones are lovely and fluffy! It is the way my Mum used to make hers. If milk goes off in this house then everyone knows that scones will be on the menu!

That is spot on. The reason is that the acid helps the rising process. You can buy buttermilk and it will have the same effect. You can in fact use anything that is acidic.

I now use a mixture of bicarb and cream of tartar and for the first time in my life I have beautiful light scones.

I cut the liquid through the rubbed in ingredients and then gently bring the ingredients together. I never roll them out, just gently mould it into a round and then use the cutters.

It is essential that you handle the mixture as little as possible.
  • fluffynit
    fluffynit Posts: 11,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all the help! :T

I will try and make some this weekend, popped out to lidls but their baking section was quite poor so did not manage to get some of the ingredients listed above. Will try somewhere different tomorrow.

I will try your recipe zombiecazz and let you know how I get on.

fluffynit
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Let me know when you perfect them and I'll pop round to taste :)
  • fluffynit
    fluffynit Posts: 11,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well I made them this afternoon..very happy with the results :j

Much better than previous attempts (they rose :D ) and even taste better too. Thanks for all help again!

Edinburghlass...they won't last long in this house!

fluffynit
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Next Edinburgh meet, you can do the catering :D

After all some people travel quite a distance to attend ;)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Next Edinburgh meet, you can do the catering :D

After all some people travel quite a distance to attend ;)

:p

If fluffynit's going to bring some scones, I'll be there. I do like to gatecrash the Edinburgh meets. :D

Pink
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    another tip i saw to make them rise is when you have cut them out turn them upside down on the tray
    that was what margaruite patten recommended
  • kaznelson
    kaznelson Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you use get a better result if you use Self-Raising flour when adding Baking Soda & Cream of Tartar?
  • doddsy
    doddsy Posts: 396 Forumite
    In our local teashop the lady cuts out two thinner ones and puts them on top of one another, it makes them easier to cut open and spread the butter on.

Doddsy
    We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.
    – Marian Wright Edelman
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    I used to cater for a NT garden and made more scones than I have had hot dinners.

8 ozs SR flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder.
    2 oz of butter or marg
    1 oz sugar.
    1/2oz of DRIED milk
    enough water to mix to a slackish dough. Do not make it too dry.

Oven 220c.

Rub the fat into the flour, sugar and baking powder, make sure you lift high when you are rubbing the fat in........, stir in the dried milk and mix to a softish dough with the water. Bring the dough together and knead lightly until the dough is smooth, roll out to about an inch thick, cut with a cutter, do not twist the cutter........ put on a tray and brush the top with milk...... they will take about 10 - 12 minutes in a very hot oven and should rise very well...

I also make a round put the dough into an 8" greased sponge cake tin, mark into 8 pieces, brush with milk and cook for about 20 minutes in a very hot oven.

Leave the sugar out and add grated cheese for cheese scones. 2 ozs of sultanas, or mixed fruit makes a nice change as well.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills