Moving house!

I am.Moving house next month and claim housing benefit which i need to change to new address when the time comes. I was after some advice about what info they council will need to reinstate my claim as i know it will be suspended. Is it just the change of address will they need to see. I am only asking as i have shreaded loads of paperwork ready for the move without thinking and wont have anything at hand but new tenancy agreement. Bit daft i know but if anyones knows anything that would be great as i still have a little time to collect what i will need before i move to help keep my suspension to a min and my claim will get sorted quicker.
Thanks

Comments

• Is it the same council or a new area?
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Live or full-service Universal Credit?
  • Same area.
  • We dont have universal credit in flow here yet its all separate. Will inform others too.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Check you local council website by googling - 'name of council' + housing benefit+ moving home.

You may find it explains what to do.

Here is an example:

https://www.thanet.gov.uk/your-services/benefits/housing-benefit/moving-home/

You can notify them before you move.
  • I have done and it gives me a list of thing's but said it depends on your change depends on what you need. There is nothing to specify for just moving moving home. I too have seen the link you have attached unfortunately my council dont simplify things. !!!55358;!!!56611;
    I will be letting then know before i move but i dont want to do it too far in advance as i need to receive my benefit to pay current rent and if i tell them now it will be suspended untill the get info needed which tenancy agreement will be one of those things which i wont get till i actually move so i would be without benefit for longer than needed.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have done and it gives me a list of thing's but said it depends on your change depends on what you need. There is nothing to specify for just moving moving home. I too have seen the link you have attached unfortunately my council dont simplify things. !!!55358;!!!56611;
    I will be letting then know before i move but i dont want to do it too far in advance as i need to receive my benefit to pay current rent and if i tell them now it will be suspended untill the get info needed which tenancy agreement will be one of those things which i wont get till i actually move so i would be without benefit for longer than needed.

Are you definitely moving? What has been agreed? Have you paid a deposit/first month's rent an advance?

If everything is finalised then there is no reason why you can't ask the letting agent/landlord to sign the tenancy agreement in advance (just putting in the date that your tenancy begins)
  • I am moving yes. I have paid deposit but i cant sign the tenancy agreement untill i have paid 1st month rent in advance which i cant afford to do untill the day i get the keys. No letting agency will ever authorise an agreement in advance before all payment has been recieved otherwise i would do that. Waiting for tenancy agreement to confirm with council is not the problem, i want to move i have to prepare for that, as original post states i was looking to find out if there will be any other info i would need to give them other than tenancy when it is only a change of address... so that i can sort them out as i have shredded all my paperwork not thinking so if i need to obtain i can start to do so before i move.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I am moving yes. I have paid deposit but i cant sign the tenancy agreement untill i have paid 1st month rent in advance which i cant afford to do untill the day i get the keys. No letting agency will ever authorise an agreement in advance before all payment has been recieved otherwise i would do that. Waiting for tenancy agreement to confirm with council is not the problem, i want to move i have to prepare for that, as original post states i was looking to find out if there will be any other info i would need to give them other than tenancy when it is only a change of address... so that i can sort them out as i have shredded all my paperwork not thinking so if i need to obtain i can start to do so before i move.
    Every time i've moved house, even for the same local council i've had to stop claiming where i was currently living and put in a new claim at my new address.

All councils are different but to get a definite answer you could ring your local council and ask them directly.
  • What did they ask for?
    Getting my tenancy agreement isnt the problem. Its if i need anything else. I know it will be suspended untill they get what they need. Just cant remember if i need anything else other than tenancy agreement as it will only be change of addresses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure