New windows and FENSA

Hi... looking for quotes for new windows, patio doors (to replace a window) and 2 new doors.

My boyfriend has a builder friend who can fit windows. We’ve had 2 companies round to quote for supplying the windows and both have mentioned that the person who installs them has to be FENSA regulated. We don’t think he is.

Question... Is this true, or just a sales ploy? What are the possible repercussions if the builder is not FENSA regulated? Salesman has told us that there will be problems when we sell the house.

Thanks x

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    No its not true, anyone can install windows. Fensa is just another name installers pay to make them look better than a lot of them really are.

http://www.windowsonlineuk.co.uk/blog/what-is-fensa-and-what-does-it-do/
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I believe FENSA registered companies can self-certify the installation. Without FENSA you have to deal with building regulations.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Johnhowell
    Johnhowell Posts: 692 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    There is also Certass for self certification scheme for doors and windows installers.

Good luck
  • Thurso_man
    Thurso_man Posts: 20 Forumite
    It’s basically so they can certify they meet building regs

As mentioned anyone can install them but not everyone will be fensa ‘registered’.

I put my own windows in my old house and had no issues when I can to sell it.

You can have issues if there’s no fensa certificate but you can pay some indemnity insurance it is pretty minimal. It’s a one of payment that last forever.

Just go ahead and do it. If your mates not fensa cross that bridge should it crop up when you come to sell. It’s a common thing when work is carried out that hasn’t been signed of by building control. Building control just basically devolves the signing of to the fensa installer because as you can imagine windows are being replaced so often

Enjoy your new windows!!
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    bris wrote: »
    No its not true, anyone can install windows. Fensa is just another name installers pay to make them look better than a lot of them really are.

http://www.windowsonlineuk.co.uk/blog/what-is-fensa-and-what-does-it-do/

We need to be careful here. This is worded in a somewhat cynical manner, and whilst that cynicism has foundations, the post could mislead OP.

The simple facts are replacement windows and external doors are covered by the Law for energy efficiency - you do not want to pay too much for your heating - and for safety - think glass brealkage and risks to children for example. There are also requirements on how they are fitted.

Complying with the Law is your responsibility. To prove you have done this you either need the windows and doors checked by a Buildings Regulations Inspector or you rely on the installing company self certifying their work as complying. If they do this then there is no need for an Inspection. The self certifying schemes include membership of FENSA.

Given a free hand, and choice, no consumer should ever rely on any self certifying scheme as being satisfactory. Nor should the consumer believe self certification means the products and the installation are satisfactory. However this is a system that exists, and consumers merrily go along with this absurdity. None of us forum folks are going to change this situation so just be very careful about what happens with your proposed work.

Savvy folks get their work independently checked. An easy way to stack the dice in your favour is to say to the FENSA installers - "your work is going to be inspected by a Clerk Of Works then signed off by a Building Inspector. Provided you pass both stages in a satisfactory manner then you will be paid".

"Your boyfriend has a friend who can fit windows ..." is the start of a concerning conversation. Be very, very careful here.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    On the other hand, I've seen some work carried out by so called FENSA " registered experts" . .

That's why I've always fitted my own, (I care about my property)
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    On the other hand, I've seen some work carried out by so called FENSA " registered experts" . .

That's why I've always fitted my own, (I care about my property)

Which is precisely my point above. FENSA Certification is almost, invariably, a piece of paper or an electronic form, that has no substance.

There are a myriad of windows and doors installed in my home. Not one was installed by a FENSA installer because the savvy decision was to get a conscientious (non FENSA) installer to methodically fit every one. Not on a price as such, but on a negotiated basis - so no incentives to cut corners and bodge. I assisted, I inspected and I ultimately said saying "yes they are fine and they will receive a sign off." I then invited the Building Inspector to visit and said "check any, or all, these windows and doors". There was brinkmanship - the Inspector knew his stuff and wanted me to know this. But no issues were found with the work.

The upshot is I know my windows are vastly better than my neighbours for quality of fitting. indeed I look at houses around me and am aghast at what I see.

Another upshot is I know what my energy bills are. Careful fitting makes a huge difference here.

Yet another upshot is I know where I stand with ventilation, air flow, prevailing wind, trickle ventilation and security.

Had I gone to the typical FENSA Installer they would have been clueless on what was required.
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    You'll want FENSA or building regs approval if you are ever going to sell otherwise its a PITA.
  • vw100
    vw100 Posts: 306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 March 2018 at 12:07PM
    Fensa is self certified from Fensa registered installers. Other option is to get local authority building control for sign off. Mainly checking that the windows are fitted well and the glass and frame has some level of energy efficiency and windows have opening where they should for fire access. Memory serves me right we are looking at K Glass. Safety glass is used if less than a certain height from floor.

Only time an issue is when coming to sell the property, but sometimes solicitors just say buy indemnity policy to get around the issue.

Some work is very poor from Fensa registered installers, so don't really mean much. Best to go for word of mouth and then get a BCO for sign off or just leave it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure