Moving from Halifax current account

I have a Halifax current account, online saver, isa and credit card, if I switch to TSB current account and close the Halifax current will the other accounts remain in isolation or will I have to transfer those out too?
All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]

Comments

• mrmajika
    mrmajika Posts: 986 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The other accounts will remain as is. It is only the Halifax Current account that will be automatically closed by the Current Account Switch Service.
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right! :D
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    mrmajika is correct, but if you wanted to move any or all of " online saver, isa and credit card, " you would be better off making an appointment to visit the Halifax branch. That's what we did when we moved it all to TSB from NW. Everything was sorted in one appointment.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    Robisere wrote: »
    mrmajika is correct, but if you wanted to move any or all of " online saver, isa and credit card, " you would be better off making an appointment to visit the Halifax branch. That's what we did when we moved it all to TSB from NW. Everything was sorted in one appointment.

I want to move to TSB not from, might speak to TSB but I thought I had to do it online. Although I could speak to the TSB about moving the rest. Not in a hurry tho!
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Seem to remember that you can't (or at least couldn't) get online access to credit card accounts without holding a Halifax current account?

So you might want to verify with Halifax that you won't lose online access when the current account is switched away.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Robisere wrote: »

This isn't the 1950's anymore!. You shouldn't ever get all financial products from one bank because you will almost certainly get a better deal by shopping around for each product. For example Online Savers and Isa's offer very poor interest rates compared to a combination of the best current accounts and regular savers.

Also it's always best to have accounts with other banks so you can access your money if something happens to one particular bank.

Plus there is no need to visit a branch these day everything can be done online much quicker.
  • mrmajika
    mrmajika Posts: 986 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Seem to remember that you can't (or at least couldn't) get online access to credit card accounts without holding a Halifax current account?

So you might want to verify with Halifax that you won't lose online access when the current account is switched away.
    That rings a bell from a good few years back, but I've had the clarity card with online access where that was my only account with them, in more recent times.

Thinking about it, you might find issues with your online saver with Halifax. I think some of their online savings need another Halifax (current?) account to transfer money to facilitate withdrawing it..
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right! :D
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You can have just a credit card, and you can have online access if you have any accounts with the halifax no requirement to have a current account, although internal rating does help with the credit limit and interest rate offered.

If you switch your current account your savings, Isa and credit card will remain.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    takman wrote: »
    This isn't the 1950's anymore!. You shouldn't ever get all financial products from one bank because you will almost certainly get a better deal by shopping around for each product. For example Online Savers and Isa's offer very poor interest rates compared to a combination of the best current accounts and regular savers.

Also it's always best to have accounts with other banks so you can access your money if something happens to one particular bank.

Plus there is no need to visit a branch these day everything can be done online much quicker.

I have a few savings accounts and a Premium Bonds. My emergency savings are with nationwide.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    My friend as a Halifax MasterCard (but not a current account) and is able to view his transactions etc online,
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure