CSA 'GOOD CAUSE' rejected - do I appeal?

12346»

Comments

• magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ritac1 wrote:
    I completely understand what Asteroth was saying, what I dont understand is why was he/she was pointing this out on this thread. I simply asked for some assistance. I think everybody on the planet is aware that almost every benefit available gets screwed by some fraudsters. I just dont know why he/she thought it necessary to point out that my situation was not very different from others who make fraudulent claims. How does that help me??

It appears that the rules are not black and white as far as the 'good cause' clause in concerned, as some people seem to believe.
    It is simply not necessary to prove that you have been physically abused, but you do need to convince CSA that you and or your children are at risk of suffering unduly, be it mentally or physically, as a result of their contacting the ex to establish his financial situation.

I guess I could get each of my children to make a statement detailing events but how sick would that be.

I think what I and a couple of others were doing was actually having a go at the recent poster (neddie) who reiterated these points in a different way, which I personally found quite harsh.

Asteroth did clearly state he/she was talking hypothetically, and withdrew when it was obvious it wasn't welcome. I know he/she has a legal background and I'm sure was just trying to provide some background information. I also think it's important to fully understand the CSA's viewpoint on this, in order to prepare a case for the appeal.

People can (justifiably) whinge about the CSA until they're blue in the face, but actually has anyone else provided anything of any use? (Other than sympathy).

I still think you should be appealing this; I hope you don't just give up.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • ritac1
    ritac1 Posts: 294 Forumite
    Yes, the most useful piece of advice was to contact the police and try and obtain some information regarding the times my ex was removed from my premises. I wouldnt have thought I would be able to get any info which would help from the police but maybe someone else has done so successfully so I may try.

However, I am beginning to feel it may be best to stay away from the CSA and just lose the benefit.
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You have nothing to lose by appealling and may win - so do it!!

Get as much evidence as you can - any text messages, police reports etc to back you up, they can't ignore evidence. They will look at the risk and make their decision based on this.

If you lose the appeal, you do have the right to ask for a Tribunal hearing. Appeals are only looked at on the evidence it has in front of them, and often they reject it only to have that overturned by Tribunal.

Go for it, all the way. You can't lose in trying! Don't resign yourself until you have investigated all avenues open to you at least you can say that you tried.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    The angle I see this situation from is that the CSA have been informed by you that should they pursue your absent ex for maintenance, then he will probably become violent towards you. As long as they leave him alone you are not in any immediate danger, given that he already knows where you live.

Looking at the hard facts of this, it becomes them colluding with him, and sets a possible precedent for any future absent father who is looking for a loophole to avoid paying.

In other words, if a bloke wants to be let off the hook, all he has to do is insinuate that his ex-partner will be in danger.

I realise how difficult this is for you OP, but I can also see where the previous posters who are defending the CSA's viewpoint are coming from.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport