Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,137Posts
    • 59,967Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2017 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 43/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 16
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 5th Nov 17, 8:53 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Never got the spiced rum with the Clubcard vouchers but did get a cereal advent calender for DD to take back to uni with her.
    I managed to get my boxes yesterday, perfect size aswell
    Took a trip out to the local garden centre yesterday, I had already seen their displays although they weren't fully out when I went to order the turkey.
    Ended up treating myself to a few bits. I love light and lighting. Fell in love with this wooden tree with small delicate lights and sparkles, and a small lantern which was twinkling away last night. They're items I can have out all year round, we only bought one thing that would have to be put away after Christmas. Even better i had vouchers so got £5 off my purchases and 20% off my tree as it was ex display and the battery case was missing a small piece of plastic with the casing-u can't even tell
    I also bought DD boyfriend a very expensive chocolate block that she said he would really love, also had a voucher towards this.
    Plan next week is to start finding where I have stored presents and start putting them in their appropriate boxes. Need to start saving packing material
    Also need to send a couple of birthday presents this week.
    DD is also finding that she is having to get organised. Next weekend is the final weekend she is home before Christmas(has had to come home a few times for medical stuff) so she is getting organised of what she needs to take back with her and deliver next week. DD is pleased that she did most of her shopping in the sales, as she said as a poor starving student now she couldn't afford to shop now like she did in January and doesn't really have the time either.
    Sounds like everyone's preparations are coming on really well. Love reading what everyone has been doing, I'm always on the hunt for new ideas
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • chanie
    • By chanie 5th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,314 Thanks
    chanie
    Aldi were doing some Xmas craft items this weekend, so I picked up some decorate your own bauble and elf doors for the children to do. I also picked up some chocolate coins for their Xmas eve hampers. Now that shops are putting their Xmas stuff out, I’ll start buying stuff with the weekly shop.

I bought wrapping paper in the January sales, but I like to see lots of colour under the tree, so I’ll probably get a few more. I have quite a few gift bags left over from last year and I kept some boxes from online shopping, which I can re-use.

I’m tempted to start wrapping presents from now, but I suspect the children will start interfering with the presents, so I normally wait until the tree is up (normally the second week of December).
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £807.18
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 6th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 3,777 Posts
    • 37,611 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I have started asking for donations for the doggy treat bags as I hope to have them filled in a couple of weeks. So far have a carrier bag of food samples and been promised some more - different maker.
    Hope a big manufacturer will offer me some things as I said I could collect- the factory is 25 miles away- however I do realise that they are continually being asked to donate......

In the last 2 weeks have emptied the collecting tins where they sell my doggy duvets-just over £80. Delivered another 9 but need to keep sewing as my house is still crammed with flipping duvets! Hopefully I can get another 3 sewn and delivered on Weds.

The family from h*** have finally moved from next door (rented accommodation) they were here almost a year, a year too long.
    All we heard in the summer were shouted 4 letter words, someone staying there held up the man at Costco with a knife etc....Nice.
    Anyway they moved and left washing on the line!!
    I told the landlady I'd be happy to have the clothes and deal with them. 4 bags in all- stored in the shed (!!!) So, 1+1/2 bin bags for rag weight at the hospice shop and 1+1/2 bags of lesser quality clothes for an out of town charity shop.
    There was a buggy bag (or whatever it's called) not complete because the velcro attached to nowt. Any way the feelie pattern was wearing off- not at all saleable. I took out the double-ended zip and then realised top side would make a weatherproof dog coat! Shyla won't mind that she has a picture of pea green boat on her back, I just need to work out how to make the chest piece.

Bought a couple of presents at Sue Ryder today. Thought it was a Christmas present but my friend said that it was already arriving monthly! I bought 6 x Good Housekeeping mag. So these 2 tops/blouses are for her Feb birthday. One is M&S the other is Next-£1 each and if she doesn't like... then they get moved on! This is for the £5 challenge.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • chanie
    • By chanie 8th Nov 17, 10:48 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,314 Thanks
    chanie
    katie well done with your efforts.

I bagged up some magic reindeer food for the children tonight. I added the porridge oates, but instead of edible glitter, I added some sprinkles, which have recently expired. All I need to do now, is to print some labels.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 9th Nov 17, 9:46 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Oooo everyone is doing so well, it's brilliant.

Katiehound cracking amount raised from the doggie duvets and it is awful when u have nightmare neighbours. A few years back we had nightmare neighbours opposite, we never thought they would go but when they did they left so much stuff that a house clearance had to come in. The house was boarded up and then we found out her older kids were breaking in to do all sorts. There are nice quiet neighbours living there now, it is so nice.
    My plan tonight is to get one of the parcels packed and ready to send at the beginning of December so that I can just pop a letter in, seal it up and it's ready to go. For some reason I've been putting off this one. Hunted out a few more presents last night from where they were stored and pulled a few extra out at the same time to pop in a gift bag. Slowly getting there. There is one gift bag I def need to sort out as if my uncle comes over early they will go back with him. I've potentially got a lot of presents going out early this year.
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 11th Nov 17, 9:06 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,314 Thanks
    chanie
    As we will be having dinner at home, Iíve written a list of what we need food wise so I can start stockpiling and preparing food for the freezer. It will be a nice meal, but we donít go overboard, as food will otherwise go to waste. I like to prepare as much as I can in advance so we can spend Xmas day relaxing rather than cooking.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 11th Nov 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,314 Thanks
    chanie
    gifts for Xmas 2018

I’ve been eyeing up a few items for 2018 already and I plan to get started early next year. Here are my ideas so far, in case anyone needs some inspiration;

Tins for girls/boys
    Similar to a hamper. They can be filled with little bits and pieces, plus they can be used for storage. I bought OH one a few years ago and it is filled with ‘man crap’.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bright-Side-Girl-Treasures-Tin/dp/B00IKFPEDU

Wrist warmers
    I’m thinking of getting some for DM and MIL. Someone on another thread recommended turtle doves. Whilst neither recipients are particularly ‘green’, they do look like they are nice gifts in themselves and they are a good price.
    https://www.turtle-doves.co.uk/collections/fingerless-gloves
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    chanie great minds think alike, I've also been thinking about Christmas 2018. Picked up a couple of bits already if I've seen something for someone which I've thought that would be brilliant for them and there are so many offers around . They are nicely stashed away.

I second the tins. Bought for my brother and sis in law a couple of years ago. My mum filled my brothers and I did my sis in laws with bits. They are both teachers so we went down the teaching route. From what i can remember I know I put pens for marking, jellied meerkats and a small bottle of vodka as an end of day recovery tipple in my sis in laws. We managed to get quite a few bits in the tins and they went down really well as presents

Managed to stash an extra food item a week......and have only eaten 2 of them so far.......quite good for me! Determined to keep going with the food stash as it lasts well into January then which will be handy as DD doesn't go back to uni until the end of Jan and she is like a beaver!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th Nov 17, 5:32 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Waved goodbye to DD today who was home for the weekend for a medical appointment. Usually we would put the tree up on the 1st December but I will have to wait until the 15th when she is home for Christmas from uni.
    DD did offer to pull the tree and decorations out so I could put it up but me and DD have always done it together so I will wait. It will be strange.
    DD sorted out and delivered quite a few presents this weekend as she won't see people until after Christmas now. Made me feel disorganised compared to how organised she was.
    Her final words as she was leaving was, 'I've taken a roll of paper for the presents I have at uni and that was it!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 13th Nov 17, 9:06 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,314 Thanks
    chanie
    Wow, your DD is organised. Just like her Mum!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Nov 17, 8:05 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Chanie DD put me to shame honestly, she was so organised and really wanted to get round and see friends that she wouldn't see before Christmas.
    I'm still getting round to trying to wrap my brothers early birthday present but I keep putting it off. I need to do it as he is getting it before Christmas and if I don't get over to see him I know I will get a call out of the blue to say are you in and then it will be a mad dash for the wrapping paper!.........just that last little bit to finish off but it is a proving to be a hurdle as wrapping is not my favourite thing.
    Might get some Christmas music on tomorrow and wrap!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 16th Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,314 Thanks
    chanie
    Iím not keen on wrapping either, but I think thatís because the only time I can do it is when the children are asleep and by that time, Iím knackered. I read your post earlier whilst at work and I have a cunning plan... Itís OHs birthday soon and weíve booked the day off work to spend together. As itís his birthday, itís only fair that he gets a lie in, so after Iíve dropped the children off, Iíll come home and get wrapping.

My mum asked me what she should get the children and I suggest Amazon Echo Dots, which are £50. They are currently on offer in John Lewis, so I ordered a couple for her. Iím pleased I could save her a couple of pounds.

I havenít made any more progress with finishing my shopping, but Iím okay with that. I did buy my first Xmas dinner item, which was a jar of cranberry sauce.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,437Posts Today

7,237Users online

Martin's Twitter