Disposal of heating oil

I've recently got rid of an old oil tank and drained about 75 litres of kerosene from it. It's probably not good enough to re-use. Anyone have any ideas on how I could get rid of it - properly! I'm in Bangor area.

Comments

• BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Our local council dump has a facility for disposing of oil from chip pans etc, possibly they could also take this - maybe quick phone to your local council office.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    If you know of someone with a shed that uses a waste oil burner for heat they might take it, not sure of the legality of those things these days though for private use. You could ask your mechanic how he gets rid of used engine oil. 16+ gallons is quite a bit to dispose of.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • Possom
    Possom Posts: 433 Forumite
    Don't some use waste oil to weatherproof sheds? Maybe not in a back garden, but at allotments or a farm.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 September 2017 at 3:38PM
    its kerosene, not waste lubricating oil

• Thanks for replies so far. I rang council first and they don't take kerosene, only engine and cooking oil. :-(
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Give a call to distributors - they might take it back or at least give you further advice on disposal.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 September 2017 at 5:17PM
    You will certainly have to pay to get it taken away... the same as you should have had to do with the old oil tank itself!

The kerosene is likely to float on any water and other gunk which was mixed with it, but some moulds and suchlike may float on the kerosene. So you may be able to recover some usable kerosene after leaving it to settle?

An Oftec-approved local oil heating firm might be able to help, too? or advise who they go to for contaminated kerosene disposal.
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    advertise it on facebook .75 litres of heating oil free to good home . Must collect .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Rodders53 wrote: »
    You will certainly have to pay to get it taken away... the same as you should have had to do with the old oil tank itself!

Scrap metal guy took tank away for free along with a few bits and pieces. It was 4mm sheet steel and was heavy. Thought about cutting it up but the potential fire/explosion risk and proximity to our house and gas pipes meant it just had to be manhandled. Managed to wreck my shoulder in the process.
  • do you have a drain in your front or back garden that is a bit secluded from neighbours?
    Pour it down there bit by bit when you can and say nothing to nobody
    mortui non mordent
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family