Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 19th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 828Posts
    • 780Thanks
    Terry98
    Smart Meters and Supply Transfer
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    Smart Meters and Supply Transfer 19th Mar 17 at 1:51 PM
    I am thinking of moving supply from OVO at the end of my fixed term because it seems I can save over £100 by moving to FU.

Two things are stopping me from doing it........customer service and the smart meters supplied by OVO.

OVO say the SM's they supply are the same as FU's but FU have told me in an email 'because we didn't install your Smart Meter we can't take a remote reading from it'. Is that is right or is it some CS op just saying that without looking into it?

OVO customer service has been excellent and FU rating is not the best but I would be prepared to test it if they could use my smart meters.
Page 2
    • molerat
    • By molerat 21st Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    • 17,303 Posts
    • 11,498 Thanks
    molerat
    The problem is that smart meters are being sold on not having to read them, very convenient for those who have with their meter in an awkward position - look at the latest E.On advert. We now have a situation where these meters have become dumb and instead of looking towards the back of that deep dark cupboard with a torch people have to physically crawl into it, poke a button and guess which is the correct number to submit to their supplier - instructions on how to manually read a smart meter seem very hard to find. A cautionary tale to all those who design a system without considering all the "what if" scenarios !
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Frugalsod
    • By Frugalsod 21st Mar 17, 10:45 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 38,651 Thanks
    Frugalsod
    Most savvy switchers have not been taken in by "Gaz & Lecky" and have simply said no to smarts meters. In a couple of years when they are all installing SMETS2 meters and the DCC is working without problems, then OK but certainly not before as they are currently unfit for purpose.
    Originally posted by Rubidium
    I had one smart meter installed at my old address and when I moved they wanted to put one in here. Since I discovered that there was no way that the features could be transferred to a new provider I told them I was switching and so no point putting one in.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
    • Debran
    • By Debran 22nd Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Debran
    The original post posed the question as to whether First Utility could read a smart meter supplied by another energy company.

I doubt it as it seems they cannot read their own meters if you move suppliers. I had a First Utility smart meter fitted a few years ago, moved suppliers then moved back to First Utility who were no longer able to use the meter they had fitted previously.
    • Rehnn83
    • By Rehnn83 23rd Mar 17, 12:37 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rehnn83
    Will new supplier fit a new smart meter?
    I'm not sure whether my question is worth a separate post or not - but to try and avoid cluttering up the forum, I'm posting it on the end of this question.

My current dual fuel supplier is British Gas and I have a British Gas Smart Meter (only installed this year). My fixed tariff has ended and it looks like I'll be better off if I move to another supplier (nPower likely).
    As far as I understand it; I can still change supplier however as I'm switching to a new supplier - the "Smart" functionality of my smart meter will cease to work and I'll have to manually supply meter readings to my new supplier. Personally that isn't much of an inconvenience for me as both my Gas & Electricity meters are easy to access. However I like (for interests sake and nothing else) to be able to see what my current gas & electricity usage is.

So my question is; If I switch supplier will my new supplier install their Smart Meter free-of-charge (replacing my British Gas Smart Meter)?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,466Posts Today

7,083Users online

Martin's Twitter