Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Agree with TH that the bracelet commission must be exciting after such a long (house-buying) break! Enjoy the flatpacking (is that a verb?!)

Great news on the toaster too - it must be a fancy one to sell for £8!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    That's great news KK :) Well done on getting a commission and making a small profit on it too. That sounds like a great arrangement - your friend gets a custom piece of jewellery for what I'm certain will cost a lot less than a professional jeweller doing it and you make a bit of profit but get the enjoyment of making the pieces and watching your friend wearing and getting pleasure from it. I'm with TH - I'd love to be creative or practical enough to do something like that but sadly am not. Enjoy!
    Well done on the selling front too. How have you been finding listing items on eBay? I need to start looking up car boot sale times as well...just another item on my 'to do' list :)
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all! Thanks so much for all being chatty, lovely to have people along for the long mortgage free wannabe ride!

So, the toaster, the lady never replied after saying she was going to collect, whilst I've been away I've had a few emails for it so will reply tonight- fingers crossed!

First OPs of march made: £9 loose change from the lucky kitty moneybox, £3 from Pinecone, £1.33 interest on our joint account and then 13p tilly tidy! £13.46 OP is not a bad start really.

The eBay sellling has been pretty good really; had a break this week as knew I was going to be in meetings all week and staying over so posting would be an issue. Plan to list the four pairs of shoes this weekend and the dodgy strap Fitbit too!

Planning to take back the new suit i bought as found a nicer one and so have worn that the past few days; dress with jacket and then skirt with jacket today :)

Had the works night out yesterday which was great fun, however everyone got very very tipsy, myself included, so now I have that worry that I may have said something I shouldn't have.... ah well, I'll find out soon enough :P

Spends have been minimal as lunches provided all week as was diner & drinks last night. I did however succumb to the McDs wrap of the day and small fries on the drive home this afternoon due to hangover cravings getting the better of me :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    NSD today as worked from home :D

Not much else to report other than a few survets completed this afternoon.
    Dinner was turkey mince from the freezer with some pasta so nice and cheap. Gf is away tues-fri this week so will do a meal plan & Aldi/Lidl shop this week
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Just having a catch up on some diaries - the bracelet commission sounds fab. You are so lucky to have such a creative skill and fingers crossed it turns into a nice little money spinning sideline for you. The works do sounded fab and you made me chuckle - I can't tell you how many times I done the panicked replay of the evening to make sure I didn't say anything I shouldn't have or the emergency trip to McDs to purchase the only hangover cure that works : )
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Glad it's not just me Busymee :D

Yesterday was a fab day; bestie came over and helped build the flat pack stuff. Annoyingly IKEA sent the wrong legs for the bathroom cabinet so we couldn't finish that, but the good news is that the three shelve units are made and the new desk is connected! It looks like a Jewellery room now! Yay

Need to move lots of my things over from where they are stored but have a bit of a dodgy tummy so am resting up today before Sunday dinner with gf parents at ours.

Had dinner plans last night with friends however we changed it and went to play lazer quest which was such a giggle, we then decided to go play pool for an hour which is something we've never done then nandos for dinner. All in all spent £27 which was cheaper than if we'd stuck to a swanky restaurant meal.

Bargain turkey crown is defrosting on the kitchen side ready for roast later, need to pop out to tesco for a veggie cheese plait for mum and some veggies, house is looking all spick & span and we have a yankee candle melt I've had for years (all still packaged with the reduced sticker proudly on it!) now melted and making the house smell amazing!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Today's plans changed ever so slightly....we nipped off to Tesco to get some bits having realized the turkey crown wasn't defrosted enough. We had planned to buy a medium chicken to roast but found chicken breasts with yellow stickers for £1.30 for two so we bought two packs for £2.60 and saved 90p. We decided to make harissa chicken using leftover lemon, olives from fridge and the small potatoes that were going a little soft for Sunday lunch.

Sat with mum for a few hours working out their budgets and looking at whether they should sell their shop/post office or rent it out for retirement income, led to lots of discussions and a bit of tears (talk of retirement/death can be tricky subjects for all).

Turkey crown is now in the oven for lunches and dinner this week (as it's now defrosted!!!). Got ys carrots today to make carrot & coriander soup for the week but as parents stayed fairly late chatting about shop I'll have to make it tomorrow instead. Grocery shop for the week was £14.87 all in so a little 13p OP made today.

Watching The people vs OJ now which is pretty intense, thanks to my besties Netflix subscription :D
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Ps if anyone has any good turkey recipes let me know... we have 2kgs cooling for meals this week now....on the list is:

Turkey & filo pie
    Turkey/cheese sauce/pasta
    Turkey & rice stew/soup
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lots of lovely turkey recipes from my favourite site Kitten - and they're customer rated so you can pick the best ones.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=turkey

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Ooooh thanks Fortune! Added to the list is

Turkey laksa
    Turkey enchiladas
    Turkey & ham bake

Good link thank you so much!

Tonight is turkey pie lean in 15 style with enough leftover for my lunch tomorrow. The rest is portioned up for two person meals- 4 bags worth!!

Tried a run tonight but only got 0.66miles down the road before the calf pinged again. Grrrrr!

Yougov & Onepoll surveys completed and I called Clydesdale to find out our interest for the month is £44 less than it would have been without the OPs :D woooooo!

Took the plunge today and plundered my emergency savings to pay off the majority of my credit card. Another £240 to pay on payday and it's gone forever...will then ramp back up with the savings. Regular saver remains untouched and another £300 will go in this week making it £900.

Works sharesave schemes have opened and the shareprice is very enticing- may have to squeeze £100 a month into that if I can get the figures to add up in the short term. Will have a play with the banking app and see what magic I can work.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback