PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

carpet cleaning

1131415161719»

Comments

• Drempan
    Drempan Posts: 11 Forumite
    I have hired an carpet cleaner with excellent final results.
  • I also prefer to take help from professional cleaners. It does not matter how deep that stain seems to be, these experts have the equipment and they know the best method to get the work done. When you simply cannot find a way to get that stain out by yourself, it is better to go for the professional services.
  • shegirl
    shegirl Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    Hi all.

I had a carpet cleaner booked to do my ivory *shudder* living room carpet today,but due to ds being off school ill I've had to cancel.

So,I need to do the best job possible on the carpet by hand,for the time being.I've used white vinegar before,after a fish tank leak (!) and it worked a little but need something more.

Was thinking washing powder?

Would it be ok to add (laundry) oxy powder?

How much do I add to the water?

How long does it take to dry?

Thanks in advance
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • shegirl
    shegirl Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    Well,I cleaned my entire ivory living room carpet with cheapy (£1 a box at local shop!bought specifically for this) biological washing powder mixed with warm water and sponges onto the carpet.

It's magic!!! Ink has gone,chocolate milkshake gone and the carpet looks brand new.

Makes me glad ds was off school with his cold,otherwise I'd have forked out £50 for the carpet cleaner who was due to come:rotfl::T
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • shegirl wrote: »
    Hi all.

I had a carpet cleaner booked to do my ivory *shudder* living room carpet today,but due to ds being off school ill I've had to cancel.

So,I needarpet cleaning services new Westminsteo do the best job possible on the carpet by hand,for the time being.I've used white vinegar before,after a fish tank leak (!) and it worked a little but need something more.

Was thinking washing powder?

Would it be ok to add (laundry) oxy powder?

How much do I add to the water?

How long does it take to dry?

Thanks in advance
    Hi
    This one is good:
    Dry foam or rotary shampoo method.
    A cleaning agent is applied to the carpet to help suspend dirt and debris in the carpet, which is then whipped into foam and worked into the carpet fibers with the rotating brushes of a special machine. After a short dwell time, the foam is extracted with a vacuum.
  • MissLemon
    MissLemon Posts: 112
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Any suggestions on how to clean a large, light coloured, heavy cotton rug?

I was quoted £50 at my local dry cleaners that does rugs which is far too much!

I've tried scrubbing a corner with soapy water and it didn't make much difference, mainly because I think most of the grubbiness is hair from my dog.

I was thinking of hiring a rug doctor and doing the rug and my carpets at the same time but I have a dog and I'm not sure how safe it is for pets or how long it takes to dry.
    Original MF Date January 2035. MF Date February 2022
  • Hi Jane, As a retired carpet cleaner of many years I can tell you that sometimes in life we just have to bite the bullet and your situation is one of them. Either get new carpets or hire a carpet cleaner who belongs to Proclean, The Professional carpet Cleaners Association. You will find that there is a lot more than other peoples stains down there.
  • Thanks to everyone who's posted on this over the years (and been merged into it) and thanks to MimiJane for starting the thread.

We've included it in this week's Money Tips email so please welcome any newbies who join in :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • To Mimijane and coolsteel.I once knocked a small glass of port over a nearly white sofa and a light beige carpet. I was distraught but did the following:-

I mopped up as much as I could with paper towels and linen tea towels so the stains were almost dry. Then I applied Vanish carpet cleaner and Rug doctor, scrubbed them in with a scrubbing brush and dried that off with the paper towels and more clean linen tea towels.

The stains were diluted but not gone.

However, I made up a thick paste of Vanish washing machine stain remover with water and applied it carefully to the actual stains and left the lot overnight.

In the morning I took off the paste and dabbed the carpet and sofa surface until it was clear of the paste. I left the whole lot to dry thoroughly and then Hoovered the lot. The stains were all but gone. You wouldn't notice they had been there unless you knew.

You have to be careful with the Vanish paste as it's quite bleachy and would take the colour out of surrounding areas. Just apply it to the stain.
  • Try baking soda with water
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport