Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    NSD not going great....went to Sheffield yesterday for 9am, then had to drive back at 11am so filled up the car (can claim that back) but they also had a huge range of protein powder and sport supplements. Our BCAAs as running out and I swear by them for fending off my post run migraines so bought a tub- £22!

I did pack two coffees and a bagel so I didn't have to buy breakfast, but I thought I'd be home for lunch so didn't pack that; ended up in the office as was having IT issues again :( so £3.22 on a chicken wrap & salad!

I decided to go for an outdoor run and made myself go- hit 5.1 miles which was a struggle but pleased I pushed myself!

Credit interest received on the joint currency account of £1.53 and a 44p tilly tidy both sent to the mortgage yesterday , £5.61 for July so far.

Painter coming at 9am to cover over that patch on the wall then I'm in the office for a catch up with new boss and to get some pointers on what he wants me to focus on first. Veg chilli and rice from last week is defrosting ready for lunch and will take water bottle,coffee and a bagel too!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 5 July 2017 at 10:09AM
    June Round Up

Mortgage numbers: £680.42 capital repaid :j
    :heart2: Overpayments £279.15
    :heart2: Interest charged (for June): £408.55
    :heart2: Standard payment: £810.20

Daily interest now £13.62/day (down from initial £14.42/day)

Savings: £155 increase. :o
    :heart2: £475 into regular saving accounts
    :heart2: -£320 from easy access savings (budgeted for- gf's 40th & download festival)

Shareschemes: £190 increase (£50 SIP, £140 sharesave) :)

Retirement: 12% salary into pension (4% me, 8% company)
    £10 into cash LISA :)

Pretty good month however I am now in my (interest free) overdraft so July/August will be about getting back into the black
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 6 July 2017 at 4:51AM
    It's far too hot & I can't sleep as the little kittens seem to want cuddles at ridiculous times (good job they are adorable!!!)

Lovely evening last night, bestie came over with his gf and treated us to Chinese, a thank you for the meals we've cooked for him at ours, which was naughty but delicious. We watched one of the Download festival highlights episodes from Sky Arts and it was a nice chilled out evening, there's a little leftovers but I ate rather too many of the chilli chips, especially considering I'm trying to slim, andso now feel over full and a bit bluergh! :o

Works been very stressful recently and I've been feeling very much out of my depth. I have a new boss who is two levels above me (the structure is very strange I must say!) but I asked for time with him yesterday to go through some things stressing me out and he was great.

Lots of these big things causing me headaches don't actually fall to me to sort, they are big system change projects, so he was really supportive with how to get these big things onto the right teams radars for sorting. I feel a lot better for the chat, and he gave me great feedback on my presentation to the big big boss on Monday morning :D

Off up north in 1.5hours so will get showered and pack two coffees for en route, a cream cheese bagel (really getting my money's worth out of that freebie!)! And try and see if I can rustle up something for lunch.

Waiting for a call back from tile place as one tile might have production issues...not sure if they've contacted gf whilst she's been away...hopefully it won't be a long wait as we've finally made a decision on what we want and it's only around £75 for the tiles we need. Then £150 for the tiler to do the work so £225 all n which is nicely under our ballpark budget we thought of around £400.

Calling vets back this morning as their systems were down yesterday, as the boys have worked out how to climb the back fence so it's almost time for them to venture out further than the back garden! Budgets updated to show these spends (tiles & castration) from July 15ths pay rather than Augusts, will be a lean month but we're trying to cut down on the 'meals out' with different friends groups, having more people over to the house instead.

We have a free meal to book at the restaurant from gf's 40th due to some of the drama a friend caused online (the curse of TripAdvisor reviews and a rather sharp tongued 'friend' with some uncomfortable convos with the restaurant senior manager resulting!) so will get that booked in soon and take advantage of a free night out!

Other than that it is the slide on into payday.... 9 days to go and all the money shuffling commences again.

Off to a good start for July with £200 gone into a regular saver as standard so that's a positive step; building those emergency fund pots up. I calculated I need around £5300 :eek: as an emergency fund (six month bills cover for my contribution- which is without cutting anything back) and hoping to reach this figure by early December across the savings and sharesave pots so we have access to funds if anything scary happens.

eBay needs to happen this weekend, need to get my bum moving and just list some stuff....it is cluttering up the house so needs to go!
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    June Round Up

Mortgage numbers: £680.42 capital repaid :j
    :heart2: Overpayments £279.15
    :heart2: Interest charged (for June): £408.55
    :heart2: Standard payment: £810.20

Daily interest now £13.62/day (down from initial £14.42/day)

Savings: £155 increase. :o
    :heart2: £475 into regular saving accounts
    :heart2: -£320 from easy access savings (budgeted for- gf's 40th & download festival)

Shareschemes: £190 increase (£50 SIP, £140 sharesave) :)

Retirement: 12% salary into pension (4% me, 8% company)
    £10 into cash LISA :)

Pretty good month however I am now in my (interest free) overdraft so July/August will be about getting back into the black

Great figures Kitten, well done! :D
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Kittenkirst
    Hurrah the toaster finally sold! In honesty I had forgot it was on fb selling until a lady messaged- collected it yesterday for £5 and I've paid it in. Need to call to shuffle the money and can OP. :money:

Spurred me on to list on eBay; I keep meaning to do it and then being lazy; if I can list five things to start on Sunday I'll be happy! :) all the clutter can go and we can make some little OPs.

Didn't make it up north yesterday: got 1.5hrs away and was feeling so drowsy, had the windows open, radio on loud, coffee & water being drunk but it didn't really help. I pulled in at services, rearranged my meetings and drove to the next junction and came back. Went into the local office instead. I really preach to the guys I manage that health & wellbeing comes first, so thought I should take heed of my own advice. I slept from 8-7 last night :eek:

Once in the office I discovered all of the Muslim people in my department had clubbed together and bought everyone a wonderful buffet to celebrate Eid; such a lovely gesture! So my packed lunch of pasta & pesto is in the fridge to eat today instead :)

Kittens booked in for the 17th for castration :o my poor boys have no clue!

Friends & their littlies over tonight to play with the boys, quite looking forward to it so will do some tidying up on my breaks etc to get the house ship-shape! Need to clean bathrooms tomorrow (my least favourite job!) - will try to wake earliesh and get it out of the way!
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So sorry to hear about the accident but glad to know everything was OK and hopefully everyones settled down after the shock .
    Great savings ,you are doing so well ,keep it up .
  • Kittenkirst
    Thanks Tryharder; gf is doing well, hasn't yet driven on the motorway yet, but she drove us to the gym, b&q & to Lidl this morning in her car and seemed alright with it :)

Have done our grocery shopping for the week last night and today (tesco's last night and Lidl this morning as we knew we'd be gymming so could pop in). Total spend of £18.36 which isn't too bad; chicken breast, chicken sausages and pork mince bought, as well as some staples like Skyr yogurt, penne pasta and pineapple!

I've been playing around with my accounts app that I religiously update and reconcile and found that for June our grocery spends came out at £104, which isn't too bad I think. We've had a lot of little shops though which probably makes it more expensive however the gf was away a fair amount in June so it was just me eating in; I often eat veggie meals which are cheaper so it's evened out somewhat.

£4 OP made earlier today rounding down the joint account; we're now just counting the days down until payday on Friday!
  • Kittenkirst
    Oh forgot to mention on our evening walk last night we came across loads and loads of blackberry bushes! Only a few small berries were ripe so we each tried one;planning to keep an eye over the next few weeks and go down with a few tubs for blackberry picking when the time is right :D
  • I was eyeing up where the best blackberry bushes were on our ride today! I found a very quiet lane with loads of flowers dropping off so I'm hoping to pop back there when the time is right.
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 9 July 2017 at 7:24AM
    Morning, the cheeky scamps have woken me early with their mad dashes round the house, gf snoozing softly still though.

we got lucky on Friday evening on our stroll and found brioche buns YS for 25p, so yesterday I halved two chicken breasts (make them flatter) and we made gourmet BBQ chicken burgers.

I used chilli flakes, paprika & oregano dry rub and served with chargrilled pineapple, some lighter cheese, leftover Guac and sour cream. Put some frozen asparagus (bought when 59p a pack) & BBQ jersey royals on the side. YUM!

Gf made a scotch bonnet and peach marinade for hers and served with onions. Tomatoes, leftover salsa and chill sauce.

Oh and cheekily I tried two drinks we got free via cashback apps- the first one was horrid so was poured away (thank goodness it was free!) as couldn't think of any other use for it (bourbon & blueberry flavoured cider) but the second one, a damson cider was delicious and a total freebie treat :D

Totally tasty and around £3 for all ingredients...dread to think what we'd pay if we ate that out!

Taking mum & dad out to a lovely Indian buffet at lunch;£5.99 a head so not too dear and then going to have a wander round town. We have some extra in our joint account so going to use it for that. Want to spend some time with the gf's parents as they do look after us a lot :)

Early start as in Manchester tomorrow morning :( On the brighter side though one of my team members has been with the company 15 years so going to get him a cake to celebrate with the wider team. I hope he likes it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback