Claiming the cost of the contents of a fridge due to insurance right-offs

Hi, can someone help regarding my consumer rights please? My Hotpoint fridge has been declared a right-off after 5 unsuccessful attempts by Hotpoint engineers to fix it. My Repaircare policy does not cover the contents so I have contacted the claims dept at Hotpoint stating that I have had to dispose of the contents twice after repairs by the said engineers did not solve the problem. Hotpoint have said they are not liable as the fridge was more than 12 months old and have offered me a £15 Sainsburys voucher as a goodwill gesture. Bearing mind, i was assured the fridge was working and keeping the food cold I discovered that this was NOT the case. Do I have any further action I can take regarding the paltry offer (the food replaced cost approx £100)?
Help please.:(

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That old chestnut.
    Presumably you kept photos of the ruined food..
  • Deccoman
    Deccoman Posts: 5 Forumite
    Yes we have photos although they have not asked for these but instead just gave us a standard "On your bike" answer. Our fridge is being replaced at no extra cost so why not the contents?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Did you buy this appliance from Hotpoint?

How old is it?

Who did you buy it from?

How did you buy it? By card?
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    You did cover food on house contents policy, didn't you?
  • Deccoman
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Did you buy this appliance from Hotpoint?

How old is it?

Who did you buy it from?

How did you buy it? By card?
    Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    You did cover food on house contents policy, didn't you?
    Bought from John Lewis, and it's 4 years old. Although covered on house contents I feel that having had 5 visits from "Hotpoint Engineers" they were morally (foolish I know) liable. Even one of the engineers was going to process the loss.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Deccoman wrote: »
    Bought from John Lewis, and it's 4 years old. Although covered on house contents I feel that having had 5 visits from "Hotpoint Engineers" they were morally (foolish I know) liable. Even one of the engineers was going to process the loss.

So you got the repairs under warranty as opposed to your statutory rights?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds a bit OTT to be honest £100 for wasted food.
    Probably most of it could have been used up or given away
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry but how did you loose 2x £50 worth of food. As said before surely some could have been frozen or eaten. What do you keep in your fridge that's worth that much?

I too don't think you got a claim. It's like asking the repairmen to pay for your meals out while the fridge was broken or for trips to the laundrette in case of a broken washing machine.

Sorry for all the hassle though
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Deccoman
    Hi, just managed to get back onto this thread. It pays to complain, Hotpoint (waste of space) didn't move on this claim. However, Legal & General were so appalled at our treatment by the aforementioned decided to compensate IN FULL for our loss, replaced the fridge with a higher spec and not only delivered it but also took the old one away for free. Happy happy happy. Thanks to all who replied. There is a god!!!!
  • Deccoman
    2 lots of food because, repairmen came and "fixed" so stocked fridge. Fridge not fixed loss 1. Repairmen came and "fixed again" weekend away and came back to find it not working. Loss 2. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure