PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Inheritance Problem

Options

Comments

• MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dazza744 wrote: »
    No wills were made so me and sister got 50% of the estate. ... she won't take a penny less than the market value.

Your sister is entitled to 50% of the market value so why should she take a penny less? Presumably so that you can carry on living your comfortable lifestyle at her expense?
    Several aunts and uncles have also stated to say the house wasn't to be sold whilst one of us was living there

Irrelevant and hearsay. Only your parents could have made that decision and clearly they didn't as they neither conveyed that to you and your sister and neither made a will where they could easily have added such a condition.
    ,as it seems greed has got the better or her.

With all due respect you seem to be the greedy one! Your sister only wants half of what is due to her. You want her to have half of a lesser amount meaning in fact you will end up with more than half of the real value of the property.

Both you and your sister have been much luckier than most to have been left a nice windfall in the form of a property. I'm sure most people here and certainly a court will see you as being the unreasonable and greedy one and costs will be awarded against you meaning the irony is you are the one who will end up with less than 50% of the property; the very same outcome you are trying to achieve for your sister!

Frankly, as others have said, you need to take emotion out of this; put away your flawed "I'm being hard done by" attitude and move on with your life... before you know it this will be a distant memory and both you and your entire extended family will be better off for it.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    your all so mean to the op with being on your high horses.

OP is enjoying his rent free lifestyle, who's to say he can't rip his sister off and wanting more money in the meantime.

OP ignore the keyboard warriors and do what you want, just don't expect to be called family again
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Dazza744
    Dazza744 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies,looks like I'm the one being unreasonable and is a wake-up call.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    have you looked at at getting a mortgage?

any other assets to be shared?

You have had plenty of time to prepare for this event, could have even bought some of the house while there.

Were you ever paying part of a mortgage?

Maybe a downsize is an option as a house big enough for three maybe on the large side for one.
  • Dazza744
    Dazza744 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Would be doubtful to get a mortgage after being carer for over 10 years and now only back in full-time employment,had wanted to keep the house on for memories and sentiments but these count for nothing. House was mortgage free for over 20 years. Assets included was a car worth at the time around £10000 which my sister got and I asked for £4000 as she was obviously next of kin.

Time for me to move on and sell up I guess,lesson learnt.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Memories are in you not bricks and mortar.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would your sister agree to you renting her half of the house from her ?

Otherwise - as stated she is fully entitled to half of the estate and if you can't get a mortgage to pay her share to her, then selling may be the only option.
  • Dazza744
    Options
    Renting isn't an option as she wants the cash upfront as well as any money from any saleable assets in the house,tv's,furniture etc. It does look like selling is the only option now.
  • steeeb
    steeeb Posts: 373 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need a 10 year employment record to get a mortgage.

As long as you don't have bad credit and you are in full time employment there shouldn't be an issue.

See a local all of market broker. With 50% LTV you'll get a rate around 1.79% or something.
  • Winter_Phoenix
    Options
    You're in a very tough situation - recently bereaved, having to start a new job after ten years out of the workplace, a sister who isn't open to any kind of negotiation, and now possibly losing your home. You have my sympathy.

Could any of your aunts or uncles lend you the additional money you need to pay off your sister? You could then take in a lodger to repay the loan.

Could you take on additional work to increase your income? Do you have things which could be sold to raise the money?

Gently remind your sister of the additional expenses of selling to a stranger, such as estate agents fees - every little helps.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills