Help re: Credit card application

*Newbie*
Hi,

I just applied for a virgin credit card online and it keeps saying timed out!! 4 times I have tried. Has anyone else experienced this?! Really frustrating and I'd rather not call a call centre! I have prefect credit rating. Any ideas? Thanks :)

Also, I did go into my bank to see about a creit card and the offer they gave me was ok, but I said no. Is this a bd thing that they offered it to me and I refused it? As in will this affect my ability to get another card?

thanks

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    When you say it has timed out, why did you then try a further 3 times? Surely after the second time you would have realised that perhaps their website was down/experiencing problems and tried another day?

You have possibly risked 4 separate credit checks on yourself. If I were you, I would call Virgin and ask if your application was successful. Then I would wait until next month and apply for copies of my credit report from all 3 agencies to see the damage if any.

When you say you went into your bank to see about a card, did you sit down with someone and they went through their application and informed you that you were going to be credit checked? Or do you mean that you just enquired over the counter if they could offer you a card, they said yes but you declined their offer?

If it's the first one then it shouldn't impact your file that much, assuming you haven't been applying for lots of things in a short space of time.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If you phone them they will say they have an IT problem.

Appears to be back up now though
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Candyapple wrote: »
    You have possibly risked 4 separate credit checks on yourself.

Each lender etc is different and has its own rules but normally multiple searches by a single organisation within a short space of time are normally treated as a single hit as some banks simply do do multiple searches for a variety of reasons.
  • Hi Thanks for all your replies.

I did go into the bank and sit down in a pre-arranged meeting with them. They did not say they would run a credit check. I tried 4 times as the first two times I was a bit slow in filling it in. The third time I thought maybe it was my computer as I am far from my wifi in the back room. Last time I tried I did it on my kindle and sat next to my wifi!

This is only my second time applying for a credit card as I don't like debt! I cancelled the other one when I moved banks. So I am naive when it comes to this. Many thanks for the information everyone. Much appreciated. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure