PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2012 Grocery Challenge!!!!! REALLLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Comments

• craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    thanks SHE WHO CANNOT COOK i shall try icelands .
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Me back again from the shops. Stocked up on cat food in order make the £40 needed to use my voucher so total after that came in at £36.68.

So £54.06/£120 to date.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello all and Hello December!

Few spends to report so far:

£2.52 in Mr S on 03/12
    £7.50 in Mr S on 04/12
    £5 yesterday on a Chinese meal because 2 work colleagues were leaving our company
    59p in the corner shop today on a diet coke

= £15.61 in total.

Got sausages out from the freezer today so need to go to Mr W to get some ingredients for a sausage pasta dish I'm doing tonight. Hope everyone is well. :D
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • Another spend for me today at A$da. Stocked up on some fruit and other necessities. Spend £18.36.
  • Hi,

Spends so far this month £26.50, hopefully added to signature.
    This was £11.14 on organic veg box (our luxury) and £15.66 between Co-op and Mr M's.

Hopefully a weekend of batch cooking soups and sauces to freeze this weekend plus a bit of baking.

Quick question, do you reckon it's cheaper to buy say, a large chicken/gammon and use this for sandwich meat? I often spend in excess of £6 per week on meat slices for lunches :eek:

D80
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dreamer80 wrote: »
    Hi,

Quick question, do you reckon it's cheaper to buy say, a large chicken/gammon and use this for sandwich meat? I often spend in excess of £6 per week on meat slices for lunches :eek:

D80

Depending on what meat you buy in either case, I would say it's cheaper (chicken wise anyway) to shred a cooked chicken for sandwiches. You'd get tonnes od meat off the cooked chicken and if there's too much you can ofcourse freeze it for the following week's sandwiches. If you have the oven on at the weekend, you could pop the chicken in with whatever else if cooking up rather than heat the oven specially for sandwich chicken :)
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • Shortie wrote: »
    Depending on what meat you buy in either case, I would say it's cheaper (chicken wise anyway) to shred a cooked chicken for sandwiches. You'd get tonnes od meat off the cooked chicken and if there's too much you can ofcourse freeze it for the following week's sandwiches. If you have the oven on at the weekend, you could pop the chicken in with whatever else if cooking up rather than heat the oven specially for sandwich chicken :)

Plus you can make stock out of the chicken bones, I think you can make ham stock too? You could finish of the meat in a soup either way if you wanted :)

I buy Chicken legs for my DS and roast them then shred them and they last me and him (he is 13 months) 2 to 3 days for lunches, and that's just the legs!
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • I have has two small spends since Saturday, £10.53. That now brings my total to £83.36. I do have quite a bit in the freezer but it will be fridge and cupboard stuff i have to get when i do go shopping.
    Well done to everyone else.
    FS
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • Year budget - £1320
    Year spent - £1,022.11
    Year left - £297.89
    Spent since then
    £185.37

Year budget - £1,320
    Year spent - £1,207.48
    Year left - £112.52

So 6 days into December and we have enough money to cover the entire month which leaves us under budget at the moment by about £20. I really hope we can come in on or under budget by the end of the month.

Trying to work out what next year's budget should be. I don't think £110*12=£1,320 will be enough as price rises will make that very tight or not possible at all for us. Thinking of upping it to £120*12=£1,440.
    Fiance, me and 2 chinchillas.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Dreamer80 wrote: »
    Hi,

D80

I think its cheaper, and nicer everytime. I particulary like to slow cook a pack of cooking bacon, the chunky bits not rashers, I just take off the top of the packet and put it in whole, when done let it cool and place a plate with a weight on it and let it go cold. Its pressed into one lump and can be easily sliced. Lots of sandwiches for around 75p. I then use the stock and a tin or two of mushy peas, some onion a potato and a few bits of the bacon to make a lovely pea and ham soup.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport