PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker

Comments

• ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    ageandjo wrote:
    Put coca cola in, what about chutney too?
    Can't think of any reason not to unless you want to determine what the coke is like on its own on this occasion you can always try some chutney another time.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • ageandjo
    ageandjo Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    That's what I will do, chutney next time.

Thanks you lot you really are fab
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    ageandjo wrote:
    That's what I will do, chutney next time.

Thanks you lot you really are fab
    In the meantime either make some chutney you fancy see the oldstyle board for lots of recipes. Or keep an eye out for some reduced ones each time you shop they always seem to crop up and can be used for adding flavour to the cooking process of all sorts of meat cuts and great for dolloping into casseroles as the potatoes tend to draw the flavour of them.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • ageandjo
    ageandjo Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    I have some chutney in the fridge :T only ever had it with popadoms or in a chicken sarnie, amazing what you lot come up with:beer:
  • stuart264
    stuart264 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cook it in Coca Cola the acid tenderises the gammon wonderfully. NB do not use "diet" it has to be the full sugar version as the artificial sweetners react with heat.
  • JUst got a gammon joint to SC. Should I cut off the fat before I start cooking it? How long should I soak it for?
    Ta
  • Hi ,I bought a piece of gammon for Christmas tea sandwiches and want to cook it on Christmas Eve, anyone tried it in a SC
    I have cooked Beef ,Chicken and Pork in the SC and wondered how a gammon joint would turn out. Any recipes please
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi JackieO! I've cooked gammon in the SC a few times, but although it was very tender (i.e. falling to bits!) it somehow didn't seem very moist even though there was obviously some water in the SC. We've decided we prefer it done on the hob! But I'm sure other folk will feel it's best done in the Sc and maybe be able to tell me where I went wrong. (I hope.)
  • We cooked a gammon joint yesterday in the SC and was delicious! Ours didnt seem dry and when storing in the fridge we wrap in greaseproof paper and this seems to keep it moist for a few days.

HTH

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hiya mummy JackieO :D

I do mine in the SC - in apple juice (which makes a fab stock for veg soup)

If you overdo it - it still tastes gorg, but it doesn't carve well. If you want to carve it, then keep an eye on how well its doing.

(This xmas, my sis is bringing the ham so haven't had to bother_
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport