Verified by Visa problems - anyone else?

Options

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Could you call VBV yourself?
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• peacemakerukuk
    Options
    There is no phone number for them - only for normal visa which don't deal with VBV. I don't know how a company can get away with this. I'm starting to think my only way out of this bureaucratic nonsense is closing the account and starting again which is ridiculous - I'm just being sent round in circles
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was booking a hotel the other night with lastminute.com and when the VbV page came up it wouldn't take my password which I knew was correct.
    The page eventually took me to a link to change my password but it asked for all kinds of details I wasn't happy giving without making sure it was a real site.

I called my bank (First Direct) and they said that their VbV department could actually see that I was in the VbV page while I was actually there (in real time) and were able to re-assure me that it was all above board.

I'd call that a good service especially as it was about 10pm in the evening.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • sharzy
    sharzy Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm also having problems making payments online because of the visa verification saying I'm entering the wrong date of birth.
    I called into my local branch and they confirmed my details were correct on their system. She even turned the computer screen so I could see it for myself.

She suggested I contact visa themselves but now that I've read the problems other people are having I doubt if I will be successful.

Has anyone any suggestions where to go from here?

Cheers
  • peacemakerukuk
    Options
    It appears there is no where to go other than not using websites that use VWV - maybe that's the way forward, then more people will stop using the banks who make this compulsory.
  • tagq2
    tagq2 Posts: 382 Forumite
    Options
    VbV seems harmful to the consumer. If your computer is compromised, you may be held responsible for subsequent fraud. It's nothing like a PIN, which is only typed in on isolated, secure systems.

It's even worse when the VbV password isn't well managed - e.g. for the Co-op it's your "memorable name" for general banking login which you initially give to an assistant over the telephone.
  • stagey_2
    stagey_2 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Any site I use that asks for Verified by Visa and when I enter all the correct info and it won't accept - guess what - I don't buy! or I ring up! This actually occurred on the charitable giving site - in the end I gave cash. I have changed passwords etc numerous times - but I still get problems - so bye bye Verified or any on line retailer that uses it.
  • statslady
    Options
    I have had exactly the same problems with VbV as many other contributors - particularly when buying rail tickets from First Great Western online. The VbV screen appears, and then before I can read it, I get a message saying that my card details are invalid and my account has been locked. When I contact my bank (Co-Op) they say there is nothing wrong as far as they can see, and that I should contact Visa; when I contact Visa, they tell me to contact my bank. Although this is supposed to be an 'opt-in'system, when I asked the Co-op bank if I could opt out, they told me that only people with disabilities can do so - so in effect, it is compulsory. Is there nothing which can be done about this abysmally poor and annoying system? - which I'm sure in some way or other we are being charged for.
  • Plxply
    Plxply Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    maybe that's the way forward, then more people will stop using the banks who make this compulsory.

The banks aren't making it compulsory, it's merchants who enable it on their stores. But that's due to the benefits that were mentioned previously, they're no longer liable for fraudulent transactions.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    I had exactly the same problem with the wrong DOB. It used to work perfectly well but someone attempted fraud on our card so we were issued with a new one and that was when the problems started. I've just stopped using that card..

What I would suggest is phone the helpline/customer services number on the card. Sometimes that can be a lot more productive than going into a branch.

You do realise that when you get a new card, with a diffrent number that you have to set VbV up again.
    That will have been your issue.

As to issues with VbV. You contact your card provider and they can reset it for you.
    Asking at branch maybe a bit too much for them, but they should be able to give you the number for their customer support on VbV
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family