Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Options

Comments

• newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Seen in Lidl car park this morning, an old bloke cheerfully (and blatantly) filling up his diesel car with several bottles of cheap cooking oil! I knew you could run a diesel car on cooking oil, but it is classed as tax evasion if you don't declare it and pay duty, so I was gobsmacked (but rather impressed) to see this chappie in the act today.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • newleaf
    Options
    just one ? tho. how do u open the bottles of wine tht dont hav a cork in them??????
    Unscrew it perhaps?
  • vickym
    vickym Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    My OH and I have in the last 4 weeks started shopping at Aldi - as my Sister told me that there food etc was excellent and she was saving loads on her shopping bill. So after trying it for 4 weeks now - we can honestly say that not one thing that we have tried has been binned - it has all been excellent and now that our freezer is nearly empty we will be trying more of their fresh meats and frozen produce in the very near future

So far our purchases include

Dried Pasta
    Tinned Tomatoes
    Extra virgin Olive oil
    Skimmend milk - long life
    Apple & Blackcurrant cordial
    Sugar
    Cereal bars (orange coated ones 8 in a box are fantastic value for money)
    Benefit cereal Flakes (99p a box and just like Special K only £ 1-59 cheaper)
    Jaffa Cakes
    Rich Tea Biscuits
    Bacon ( best we have ever tried)
    Frozen pepperoni pizza
    Ice Pops
    Frozen Battered cod fillets
    Washing Up liquid
    Disposable razors with aloe vera
    Gammon Steaks
    Gammon Joint

Fresh Vegetables, potaots, peppers, onions
    Fresh Fruit - bananas, apples, strawberries, red grapes ( we found the green ones a bit hard) , melon,

Last but by no means least our favourite buy at aldi - is their WHolemeal Bread - Its a huge loaf and far superior to Warburtons and you get nearly double the amount of bread for your money. We will not change back to warburtons now.
    Remember is nice to be important but more important to be nice

• ukbadger_2
    ukbadger_2 Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have a pretty fussy dog when it comes to food - tried most things and the only ones I could get her to eat recently were the odd pedigree chum pouch 34 pence each or the small foil containers of Cesar , 49p - 52p depending on where you buy them. So in Aldi last week I thought I would try their foil containers which were 29p as at that price nothing to lose . I was totally gobsmacked by her reaction , she can't get enough of it and wolfs it down within seconds. I had been getting concerned as in the warm weather putting food down before I go to work means it could sit there all day and attract flies as well as potentially giving her a bad tum. Her 'cousin' was even worse and parents had taken her to the vets as they were concerned about her not eating dog food (possibly as she is suplemented by the odd rich tea biscuit by father but enough said about that) - the two of them were nearly scrapping over a bowl of dog food on saturday so it's Aldi all the way for us now.

Potential savings are approx £150 per dog for the year which covers the pet insurance but most important is a happy dog . :T
  • newleaf
    Options
    We got some fantastic ice creams at Lidl on Saturday that are similar to 'Magnums'. They are called 'Gelatelli Choco Almond' and they are absolutely divine[/I]. They came in a box of 6 for £1.75 - less than 30p each.
  • southwestmaid
    Options
    ukbadger wrote:
    Well I have a pretty fussy dog when it comes to food - tried most things and the only ones I could get her to eat recently were the odd pedigree chum pouch 34 pence each or the small foil containers of Cesar , 49p - 52p depending on where you buy them. So in Aldi last week I thought I would try their foil containers which were 29p as at that price nothing to lose . I was totally gobsmacked by her reaction , she can't get enough of it and wolfs it down within seconds. I had been getting concerned as in the warm weather putting food down before I go to work means it could sit there all day and attract flies as well as potentially giving her a bad tum. Her 'cousin' was even worse and parents had taken her to the vets as they were concerned about her not eating dog food (possibly as she is suplemented by the odd rich tea biscuit by father but enough said about that) - the two of them were nearly scrapping over a bowl of dog food on saturday so it's Aldi all the way for us now.

Potential savings are approx £150 per dog for the year which covers the pet insurance but most important is a happy dog . :T

Thanks, must try their cat food, my cat really fussy and only likes whiskers.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a 14 year old really fussy cat, and she loves the Vitacat foils. I also give her the dried food and she likes that too.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • speedyjoe
    speedyjoe Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    newleaf wrote:
    We got some fantastic ice creams at Lidl on Saturday that are similar to 'Magnums'. They are called 'Gelatelli Choco Almond' and they are absolutely divine. They came in a box of 6 for £1.75 - less than 30p each.

Yep agreed V. nice for the money.
    Joe

As through this life you travel,
    you meet some funny men
    Some rob you with a six-gun,
    and some with a fountain pen
  • barginunter
    barginunter Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    Options
    They also do a box of 12 mini-Magnums in dk choc, milk choc,nutty+ white choc - really scrummy and not so fattening as full-sized ones. The choc-chip ice cream (oblong tub) is divine.
  • quids_in_2
    quids_in_2 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Poing wrote:
    Can anyone recommend any coffee from Aldi? - I like Kenco Rapport and try & get it when on offer in Netto. Definately prefer strong coffee - none of that mellow stuff that tastes like tea, yuk

Kenco rapour was on special offer in somerfields on saturday
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport