Can you work while on Jsa

What work can you do while on JSA?

How does it affect it?
:footie:

Comments

• Yes you can but you're only allowed to keep £5 of it, the rest gets deducted from your JSA £1 for £1.
  • Ms-Money-Penny
    Ms-Money-Penny Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    red_devil wrote: »

How does it affect it?

JSA = Job Seekers Allowance

If you're working then you're not exactly job seeking. And if you are working and claiming JSA then it's called Benefit Fraud.
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JSA = Job Seekers Allowance

If you're working then you're not exactly job seeking. And if you are working and claiming JSA then it's called Benefit Fraud.

Not exactly true ....you're allowed to work 16 hrs or less and still claim JSA..
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • red_devil wrote: »

How does it affect it?

Its called working casual. Cash in hand.
  • Its called working casual. Cash in hand.
    Now that is fraud, the op could get in to alot of trouble and made to pay their benefits back.
  • hanny83_2
    hanny83_2 Posts: 327 Forumite
    You must declare ANY work you do, be it voluntary or paid.
    Hanny:easter_ba
  • Ms-Money-Penny
    Ms-Money-Penny Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Not exactly true ....you're allowed to work 16 hrs or less and still claim JSA..

Actually your statement is not true and you'd be suprised by how many get caught with the 16 hour rule.

example

If you are working 15 hours a week and earning £10 an hour you'd be earning £150.00 less tax etc. So why would you think you'd receive JSA on top of earning £150.00 a week.

I work in benefit fraud and this is the question they throw at you if you plead the 16 hour rule.

If you're earning over 16 hours then you claim WTC
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    Actually your statement is not true and you'd be suprised by how many get caught with the 16 hour rule.

example

If you are working 15 hours a week and earning £10 an hour you'd be earning £150.00 less tax etc. So why would you think you'd receive JSA on top of earning £150.00 a week.

I work in benefit fraud and this is the question they throw at you if you plead the 16 hour rule.

If you're earning over 16 hours then you claim WTC

As far as I aware you can work 16 hours or less and anything you earn is taken into consideration when caculating the benefit amount......this is why I assume that I have had to provide copies of my wage slip every week since I started claimed. Presumably if I earned anything over the JSA entitlement then I would only get my contributions made up.

Or have I been given incorrect information?
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • Bamber19
    Bamber19 Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    As far as I aware you can work 16 hours or less and anything you earn is taken into consideration when caculating the benefit amount......this is why I assume that I have had to provide copies of my wage slip every week since I started claimed. Presumably if I earned anything over the JSA entitlement then I would only get my contributions made up.

Or have I been given incorrect information?

Pretty much correct except that it's less than 16 hours, not 16 hours or less.
    Bought, not Brought
  • Bobl
    Bobl Posts: 695 Forumite
    Its called working casual. Cash in hand.

And that is theft - of my hard earned money that I have to pay in tax to keep people like you! You make me sick and give people who are not playing the system a bad name.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport