Tmobile price increase

50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I have this morning, received notification of a price increase on my Tmobile monthly plan - which amounts to 3.1% - to come into effect from 9 May - ie 5 weeks notice
Surely - they cannot just increase prices as they see fit on existing contracts and with only a months notice too ?

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    >> Mobile Price Increase: Just screwing with us?

The fact is that they can just increase prices.
  • I also had this letter but mine says 3.3% increase - the thieving b*stards!! To top this off they are saying that my contract is actually discounted but the increase is based on the 'original' tariff price - There has to be something that the public can do to stop these companies just increasing prices during a contract - after all the customer can't just decide to decrease their payments when in contract!! Come on Martin Lewis work your magic with this issue!
  • 50Twuncle
    sparky4434 wrote: »
    I also had this letter but mine says 3.3% increase - the thieving b*stards!! To top this off they are saying that my contract is actually discounted but the increase is based on the 'original' tariff price - There has to be something that the public can do to stop these companies just increasing prices during a contract - after all the customer can't just decide to decrease their payments when in contract!! Come on Martin Lewis work your magic with this issue!

I agree - it is tantamount to theft - they appear to think that they are able to do what they like......
    what are the likely cancellation charges ?
  • grumbler
    (monthly charge)*(number of remaining months)
  • 50Twuncle
    grumbler wrote: »
    (monthly charge)*(number of remaining months)

So you reckon that we are stuffed - do you ?
  • grumbler
    I am now on PAYG with Ovivo and I don't care. People more competent than I am recon that you are stuffed.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    sparky4434 wrote: »
    There has to be something that the public can do to stop these companies just increasing prices during a contract -
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    I agree - it is tantamount to theft - they appear to think that they are able to do what they like......

Sorry I suspect you won't like this but the T&C state that prices can raise by anything up to the RPI without giving you a cause to cancel. You agreed to the possibility of this when you signed up to the contract.

Did you read the T&C when you signed up? Most people skim through them but not really read them, hence why this often comes up on the boards. Contract prices are not (and have not been) fixed over the term of the contract, they can rise either if the company wished to increase them for inflation or any external reason (like the change in VAT).
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    grumbler wrote: »
    I am now on PAYG with Ovivo and I don't care. People more competent than I am recon that you are stuffed.

I recon your competent, we disagree on some points but you advice is pretty sound... :D
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know its says they can increase by RPI every 12 months but if we have to prove material detriment to cancel the contract, should they not have to prove that their costs have increased by the RPI to justify the increase?
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    boatman wrote: »
    I know its says they can increase by RPI every 12 months but if we have to prove material detriment to cancel the contract, should they not have to prove that their costs have increased by the RPI to justify the increase?

You may be right, but in the meantime, you have to live by the contracts you signed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure