LED G9 bulbs, why are they all weird brands?

Options
There are now plenty of LED bulbs in the G9 format that is common for halogen. They get good reviews on Amazon, but why are they all weird no-name brands?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=g9+led

I assume they're all from China, but why is no semi-reputable lightbulb brand picking an ok source and slapping their name on it? Right now, the supposed manufacturer name on Amazon isn't even printed on the box they come in.

Anyway, does anyone have experience with these? Do they work well and is the light nice? Are any one them better than others?

Comments

• MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    I see Phillips in that link.

Noticed these in screwfix yesterday funnily enough, hadn't seen them myself until then.
  • red_imps_2003
    red_imps_2003 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought some Leorx ones a while back but am not using them anymore for three reasons:

1. The light in the room seemed odd to me and made my eyes feel funny. My wife never complained, though, so this may have been subjective/placebo.

2. They wouldn't switch off completely. When I switched off at the wall they were all left glowing dimly for a indeterminate length of time. The longer I left them running, the longer they took to go out completely to the point where they were still glowing the following morning after having them on most of the [winter] evening before. This could well be a fault with my circuit, as none of the Amazon reviews mention it but I have seen it raised as an issue with LED G9s in general using Google. It still did it when I moved them to the bathroom light, which I think is on a different circuit to the living room ones. I have LED bulb lights in most other fittings and they work just fine so I still don't know if it is peculiar to the Leorx branded ones or if all LED G9s will have the same effect. I'm too tight to splash out on other options to find out.

3. They looked odd in my particular fittings. While I don't think they protruded out of the ball-shaped glass shades as such, the light was no longer in the centre so it looked a little weird. While visitors probably wouldn't have noticed; I knew it was like that and it bugged me.
  • napu2400
    napu2400 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I guess I skipped over the Phillips one because it's £6 for a single 204 lm bulb.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ikea sell them for a couple of quid.

Philips have already been mentioned, OSRAM another well known lighting company sell them.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2. They wouldn't switch off completely. When I switched off at the wall they were all left glowing dimly for a indeterminate length of time. The longer I left them running, the longer they took to go out completely to the point where they were still glowing the following morning after having them on most of the [winter] evening before. This could well be a fault with my circuit, as none of the Amazon reviews mention it but I have seen it raised as an issue with LED G9s in general using Google. It still did it when I moved them to the bathroom light, which I think is on a different circuit to the living room ones. I have LED bulb lights in most other fittings and they work just fine so I still don't know if it is peculiar to the Leorx branded ones or if all LED G9s will have the same effect. I'm too tight to splash out on other options to find out.

Sounds like a fault, an LED should go dim very quickly without power.

It actually suggests current is leaking past the switch or there's some more serious fault somewhere. Have you tried throwing the main switch on the consumer unit and turning off the whole house?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a fault, an LED should go dim very quickly without power.

It actually suggests current is leaking past the switch or there's some more serious fault somewhere. Have you tried throwing the main switch on the consumer unit and turning off the whole house?
    Nope. It's a common 'problem' and fairly well known in the trade. Here's one expert's take on the effect http://www.davidsavery.com/index.php/free-advice/117-why-do-my-led-bulbs-glow-when-off

Another fix is to use a 'snubber' from Maplin (RG22Y) to remove the stray voltage pickup.
  • Katykat
    Katykat Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I changed all our bulbs to LEDs and didn't like the light they emitted. I used a mix of warm & cool lights depending on which room they were in. I am now gradually replacing them with halogen again. I didn't notice any significant reduction in energy bills with LEDs and it was definitely less bright. All in all, I was disappointed with LEDs. Btw, our Council replaced all the street lights with LEDs. It's shocking how dark our streets are now. It's positively dangerous as the pavements are only illuminated directly under the post. In between the posts is completely dark. I appreciate that LEDS may be better for the night sky but I'm more concerned about our safety here on earth
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • elle_may
    elle_may Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Katykat wrote: »
    I changed all our bulbs to LEDs and didn't like the light they emitted. I used a mix of warm & cool lights depending on which room they were in. I am now gradually replacing them with halogen again. I didn't notice any significant reduction in energy bills with LEDs and it was definitely less bright. All in all, I was disappointed with LEDs. Btw, our Council replaced all the street lights with LEDs. It's shocking how dark our streets are now. It's positively dangerous as the pavements are only illuminated directly under the post. In between the posts is completely dark. I appreciate that LEDS may be better for the night sky but I'm more concerned about our safety here on earth
    Our council have changed our street light's too and i am glad some one else think's this. And yes they do make it darker in between i can't see up our street any more.The only good thing is the light straight out side our window is now darker in the room.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure