No gas compensation for a house

Recently we were left without gas for nearly a month. First day we were handed a letter in which we were informed about a compensation we are entitled to in the amount of £30 per each day without supply. We have just received a cheque but the amount on it is significantly lower than we were expecting with accordance to the letter. We live in a house that is divided into 5 separate independent flats, each with its own gas/energy supplier.
My question is here: Does every flat/household should receive separately £30 p/day each or it’s one compensation for the whole house then divided into the number of flats? Also I’m curious on what law/regulations they would make those decisions

Any hints appreciated :)

thanks

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 21 May 2017 at 8:19AM
    Is the compensation you received £30 per day divided by 5?

If the flats have separate supplies, meters, standing charges and bills I would expect compensation per flat. The fact the house was previously one property is irrelevant.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-supply/get-compensation-if-you-have-a-power-cut/

If your gas supply is cut off

The company responsible for the gas pipes connecting to your home (called a gas transporter) must give you 5 days’ notice if they plan to cut off your supply to do work. You can claim £30 compensation if they don’t, but you must claim within 1 month.
    If you’re on the Priority Services Register, they must arrange alternative cooking and heating facilities for you.
    You’ll be entitled to compensation if your gas is cut off for more than 24 hours. The amount you get will vary depending on how long it was cut off for.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/extra-help-energy-services/power-cuts-help-and-compensation-under-guaranteed-standards

See the table below for how much you could be eligible to claim if you've experienced prolonged or frequent power cuts in normal weather:
    Service Guaranteed Standards payment Supply restoration: Single interruptions If you are cut off for 12 hours or more in ‘normal weather’, you can claim:
    • £75 as a domestic customer.
    • £150 as a non-domestic customer.
    A further £35 will be paid for each additional period of 12 hours in which supply is not restored up to a cap of £300 in total.
    If more than 5,000 homes are affected by a single fault, local network companies have 24 hours to restore supplies.
  • stewie_griffin
    stewie_griffin Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    That's for a power cut (electricity) not loss of gas.
  • Thanks Norman
    The case turned out to be bit more complicated. The thing is that after two weeks they restored the gas in the house but with the exception of our apartment as there was asbestos that needed to be removed before they could proceed with works. The fact that it took them so long to remove just a box where the meter was sitting is another story. Anyway, called them yesterday and was told that in the moment the gas was reconnected back to the property the compensation stopped hence lower amount on the cheque. My point still is that I didn’t have gas for another two weeks and expressed it clearly. There, a nice lady promised that she will check this and come back to me. So, waiting...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure