Changing Energy Suppliers

Options
Daniel182
Daniel182 Posts: 39 Forumite
Hello

I have an elderly friend that lives in sheltered housing. When my friend first moved in she just went along with all other residents, who are with British Gas.

She never singed any contract etc, just told BG that she had moved in gave her name room number and that's it.

She now wants to change suppliers. Even though nothing was signed and not been with them a full year, will she have to pay a leaving fee?

Thanks

Comments

• warwickbears
    warwickbears Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Daniel

I guess it depends on the contract i.e. if it's a standard variable rate tariff, I suspect there's no exit fee; if it's a fixed rate, and there is an exit fee, it could be deemed your friend has accepted the terms of that contract by using the energy supplied.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi
    It is likely that British Gas would have put her on their most expensive variable tariff (as deeemed supplier) if she did not ask to switch to a fixed tariff. If so, they can not charge an exit fee if it is the deemed tariff.
    By switching, to a fixed tariff, she is likely to make a substantial saving, even if she stays with British Gas, but would probably save even more by switching to another supplier.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    'Room number': are all the rooms individually metered? If so she can switch. If not, she can't. There could also be a private sub-meter system?
    If no tariff was requested, she will be on SVT-the most expensive.
    No signature is necessary, by using the service she has formed a contract.
    The first port of call here should be the management company.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Daniel182 wrote: »
    Hello

I have an elderly friend that lives in sheltered housing. When my friend first moved in she just went along with all other residents, who are with British Gas.

She never singed any contract etc, just told BG that she had moved in gave her name room number and that's it.

She now wants to change suppliers. Even though nothing was signed and not been with them a full year, will she have to pay a leaving fee?

Thanks

If she refers to her bill from BG, section 5 will state what her current tariff is and whether or not an exit fee applies :)

1345028219737.png
  • Daniel182
    Daniel182 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies.

I not sure which tariff it would be. I take it, it's just the standard tariff option. The meter's are individual and not just one between all.

Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport