Being unfairly stuffed by Credit Card....advice appreciated!

2»

Comments

• fuzzything
    fuzzything Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not safe to ever assume you don't have to pay an amount you dispute. Unless you get something in writing from the bank saying you don't have to pay it, you have to play by the terms and conditions of your account.

I understand you were told it would be removed, but once you saw it was still sitting there you need the bank to confirm whether you can ignore paying it.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I pay my bill as soon as produced online. However I still have a dd in place in case I ever forget. With my card providers if the payment is then made manually in a few days of the dd being taken then the dd is cancelled for that month. If its possible then perhaps the OP may like to adopt the same thing.

To me the OP has caused all these problems himself. Sorry my friend but you need to move with the times.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Op - you've had 20 years worth of free credit. Dry your eyes.
  • Dribiddi
    Dribiddi Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Utterly disgusted that a credit card company might want to make some money from you after 20 years? Get a grip
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    dw89 wrote: »
    This is all fine until one day, as happened in April, a credit card bill didn't turn up (why is anyone's guess). I realised nothing had turned up what amounted to 2.5 working days (or 4.5 if you count w/e) and phoned up immediately on 10th April (it was due on 5th).

This reads as if you were expecting the credit card statement to be received on 5th April and when it was not received you telephoned them on 10th April.
    But that is not what you mean is it?
    What you would appear to actually mean, in order for the rest of your post to make any sense, is that your credit card statement NEVER turned up, the payment was due on the 5th April but you waited until 10th April to call the credit card company.
    WHY?
    Why did you not call them when the statement was a few days late. Why wait until after the payment due date to call?
    Non-receipt of the statement may have been a valid excuse in the 1980's, but these days with online access and internet banking it really is not.
    Do you not have online access to this credit card account? If not, why not?
    As for the rest of it, why should they refund the interest? You breached the T&C's of the credit card account by failing to make payment by the due date. I hope the credit card company have correctly recorded a late payment marker on your credit files because honestly you deserve it.
    They have generously refunded the late payment fee.
    The interest has been charged because you failed to make full payment by the date due. Nobody has charged you £25+ interest for 4 days. You have quite correctly been charged interest on all purchases from the date of each transaction until the payment date.
    On your latest statement you have quite correctly been charged interest on purchases (as you state). You have NOT however been charged £15 interest on £25 interest. This is interest on purchases. You are now paying interest on all your purchases and you will correctly continue to do so until such time as you pay the full balance of your current statement by the due date AND have also paid the full balance of your previous statement by the due date. Your statement before last was NOT paid in full as you paid the total less the interest.
    You brought this all on yourself by failing to make timely payment of your credit card bill and are seeking to blame it all on the credit card company because the postman didn't deliver your statement. You have access to a phone. You have a computer (presumably). I have no sympathy for you whatsoever. Pay up the interest you owe and get on with your life..
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry OP but you have to shoulder the responsibility for this.

All the above statements are spot on - this your error not the error of the CC company, the postman or anyone else you can find to blame.

This is dragging out and it's you who will pay the cost (in interest). If the first statement that went missing was due for payment in April then that would have transactions on it from mid Feb - Mid March (if the 5th April is indeed the correct payment due date not statement date) and by the time you have put this right with trailing interest it's going to be June/July (again depending if the statement or payment date is the beginning of the month).

Moving on -
    * Accept the good will gesture of the CC company for the late payment refund
    * clear your balance in full ASAP
    * clear the following statement (which will include trailing interest) in full ASAP
    * set up a DD so the onus is on the CC company to 'take' the payment when it's due (it won't be set up immediately if you request it so don't assume it is and make sure you check to ensure a manual payment is made until then)
    * learn from it, you are human and can make mistakes, enjoy a further 20yrs of interest free credit
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 2:11PM
    This is why I now don't have a credit card. Late payments/ mistakes/ disputes etc and then the extra stress and dent to your credit file trying to sort it out.
    I also read somewhere that using plastic leads to people spending on average 18-20% more than if they used cash.
    My advice would be get rid of the credit cards! Do you really get so many points/ air miles etc to justify having one? I'd be surprised.
    Unfortunately having a credit cards comes with these risks. If you do keep it at least set up a direct debit.

Credit cards are a useful tool when managed properly. Yes, you can hire a car book flights and hotels without them but they make a lot of these things in life easier. They certainly don't add to your stress.

Even the most basic prudence and management of accounts, much of which can be done with the convenience of online services, negates any of the risks you have highlighted.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is no risk in having a credit card. Use it correctly and pay whats due on time, where's the risk ?
    There are more benefits than risks.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Even less of a risk if you set the DD's up as soon as you get access to your internet account or call them up as soon as your acepted.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    This is why I now don't have a credit card. Late payments/ mistakes/ disputes etc and then the extra stress and dent to your credit file trying to sort it out.
    It is 31 years since I got my first credit card. I've never paid late or had a dispute in that time. Indeed, I have had a dispute over a £20 note at a bar. Method of payment is not a no dispute guarantee. My credit file is impeccable. Thanks.
    I also read somewhere that using plastic leads to people spending on average 18-20% more than if they used cash.
    Some people are silly. Others aren't.
    My advice would be get rid of the credit cards!
    My advice would be milk credit cards to your best advantage until the cows come home.
    Do you really get so many points/ air miles etc to justify having one? I'd be surprised
    In cold hard cashback I earned just over £110 last year with an old Halifax MasterCard and a further £30 on their Clarity card, albeit the latter no longer pays cashback.

My Avios (air miles) when combining card spend, flying, supermarket shopping and Topcashback redemptions have allowed me to book first class flights to the USA next month. £8,000 in retail fares handed over for £1,060 in "taxes".

I'll ponder your comments when I'm enjoying my pre-flight massage in Heathrow. Assuming I'm not too sloshed from the other benefits of the first class lounge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure