Mums ran up debt in my name and won't pay

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Could you sell the goods she bought and use the money to pay off some of the debts?

Maybe take out a credit card in her name use that to pay off the debts?

Report ID theft to the police but don't say who you think did it?

OP ignore this idiotic advice in bold.

Did you even read the OP's post? She has already stated that her mother's credit is rubbish hence why she took it out in her daughter's name.

Besides, if the mum took out catalogues, chances are she bought clothes. I hardly think old clothes from a middle aged woman is going to be worth anything.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Might've bought an iPad?
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Might've bought an iPad?

Chars97 wrote: »
    My mother has no remorse and doesn't care for what she's done

Even if she did buy an iPad, do you really think she would give it to her daughter to sell?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Candyapple wrote: »
    OP ignore this idiotic advice in bold.

I think your bolding didn't go far enough Candyapple...
    Report ID theft to the police but don't say who you think did it?

I can't see how this is going to help - telling the police someone has carried out ID theft but not identifying them is pointless. How long before the police figure out that if the applications weren't made by the OP then it was likely to be a friend/relative based on the address used for the application and delivery of goods ordered? Unless the suggestion is that the police will just issue a crime reference and do no more about it, but will the credit companies really just accept a loss without taking it further?

At worst, reporting a crime to the police but witholding key information could result in the OP being accused of wasting police time, or perhaps even coming under suspicion of conspiracy to commit fraud.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    there is no best of both worlds.

A couple of years back I had a situation where my elder sister defaulted on Virgin Media payments which was put in my name at her address.

Virgin Media told me I had 2 choices, proceed with reporting it as a crime, or deal with the debt as my own, I did the latter and luckily my sister apologised and paid me back.

If my sister had turned on me tho, and showed no remorse, then I may have gone the other route. Also a factor was the debt wasnt very large, under £200. So was not difficult for me to settle to get it of my credit file. If was say £2000 I am not sure if I would have dealt with it the same.

Makes me think that credit providers need to shame the blame,if they insisted on stricter security in proving who is applying,it would help cut down on this kinda fraud.

My late month had multiple cards/catalogues simply by changing how surname sounded/read...seemed to work and ive even heard her giving the wrong details whilst placing an order...sickening but what can you do.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    stuart30 wrote: »
    Makes me think that credit providers need to shame the blame,if they insisted on stricter security in proving who is applying,it would help cut down on this kinda fraud.
    I'm sure many would agree with the sentiment but what actual practical measures would you suggest? There are often threads with posters complaining about how bureaucratic it is to get documents certified, etc, and close family living under the same roof (with access to delivered post) are always likely to be able to pull stunts like this if they're determined to do so, so it's not clear to me what else the catalogue companies concerned could have done to avoid OP's situation?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Why do people post on a forum and then not look at the answers?
    Because it's another troll, post a sad story then log in, in another account to be fed. This time they made a mistake Very do not allow accounts to 17 year olds.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As other have said, report it to Action Fraud. The companies will want to see you making an attempt even though they are the ones who need to report it as they were the ones who were defrauded, not you.
  • stuart30
    bris wrote: »
    Because it's another troll, post a sad story then log in, in another account to be fed. This time they made a mistake Very do not allow accounts to 17 year olds.

Maybe not but who said the mother used the son/duaghters real age.

My late mother used my wife's name and her own date of birth..hence why when we contacted the catalogue concerned they refused to talk to the wife as security details didn't match...:mad::mad:
  • stuart30
    eskbanker wrote: »
    I'm sure many would agree with the sentiment but what actual practical measures would you suggest? There are often threads with posters complaining about how bureaucratic it is to get documents certified, etc, and close family living under the same roof (with access to delivered post) are always likely to be able to pull stunts like this if they're determined to do so, so it's not clear to me what else the catalogue companies concerned could have done to avoid OP's situation?

Yes appreciate its not as easy as it sounds..must be something though.

Maybe ask for photo ID such as Passport/Driving license/SIA license etc...not fool proof but makes it a little harder.

As i said my late mother had many names all based on her surname or her fella"s surname and who was oblivous she had multiple lines of credit in his name,he didnt live there and had no post going there,until she used his surname.

Its amazingly easy to have thousands of pounds of goods in multiple names all delivered to the same single occupancy address and never get caught.:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure