Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,560Posts
    • 8,714Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Jessica; 02-05-2017 at 3:14 PM.
Page 211
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 28th May 17, 11:56 PM
    • 58,715 Posts
    • 338,181 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I ended up in the freezer drawer, pulling out the brussels and cauliflower - and discovered a small wrap of about a tablespoon of red onion, great for that spud salad tomorrow!

Served those with instant mash, stuffing and 3 tiny Yorkies + gravy.

Starting to see real emptying of the freezer now, two empty bags into the bin (the brussels and the cauli).

Looks like I'll actually manage to defrost it in June sometime at this rate!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 29th May 17, 2:20 AM
    • 2,609 Posts
    • 32,958 Thanks
    monnagran
    PasturesNew, 're choccy bars.

One of the multitude of slimming clubs I have attended over the years suggested that if we couldn't resist chocolates and suchlike, we should keep them in the freezer. Great idea. I broke a tooth on a Mars.

My youngest son once bought himself a pack of 5 Milky Ways. He ate 2 and gave me the rest to look after so that his elder brother couldn't get his hands on them.
    During the day I managed to eat the three that were left. Then of course I had to buy a whole new pack for him.

And eat 2 out of it to cover up my guilt.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 29th May 17, 6:56 AM
    • 58,715 Posts
    • 338,181 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... to look after so that his elder brother couldn't get his hands on them.
    During the day I managed to eat the three that were left. Then of course I had to buy a whole new pack for him.

And eat 2 out of it to cover up my guilt.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    That's the sort of thing I'd have done, if I'm honest.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 29th May 17, 6:57 AM
    • 58,715 Posts
    • 338,181 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Overnight a wild lightning storm woke me up then kept me awake.

This morning the weather's grey, cool, unpromising.

Happy Bank Holiday, eh!
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 29th May 17, 7:45 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I ended up in the freezer drawer, pulling out the brussels and cauliflower - and discovered a small wrap of about a tablespoon of red onion, great for that spud salad tomorrow!

Starting to see real emptying of the freezer now, two empty bags into the bin (the brussels and the cauli).

Originally posted by PasturesNew

Glad you found some onion for your potato salad. At least you can have something you fancy without having to go and buy more onions that you don't need.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 29th May 17, 7:47 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

That's good. I think it will be next June before either of mine are empty enough
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 29th May 17, 7:49 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Overnight a wild lightning storm woke me up then kept me awake.

This morning the weather's grey, cool, unpromising.

Happy Bank Holiday, eh!

Much the same here. I couldn't get back to sleep because it is so muggy and I was too hot, so it's been a restless night without much sleep for me as well
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 29th May 17, 7:57 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Morning all,

I have decided to use up the last of my chicken for lunch because I just couldn't face the same thing for the third day today and really don't want to put anything else in the freezers.

Dinner will be the salmon steak that I have just got out to defrost with either some steamed veg or salad. The salad bits need using up, but I am a bit fed up of salad now. I'll see later today.

I had got a piece of cheesecake out of the freezer yesterday for dinner but didn't fancy that so had ice cream instead so today the cheesecake will be pud, or a snack during the day

I will have breakfast in a minute but I can't decide between the usual yoghurt and berries or scrambled egg on toast.

Have a good day everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

521Posts Today

5,720Users online

Martin's Twitter