Changing Energy Suppliers estimated bill

Options
aardvark56
aardvark56 Posts: 16 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I am changing energy suppliers after poor service from EDF. I went to submit my online readings but found there was no display on the electricity meter. The gas meter was fine. However the EDF website will only allow you to enter readings if you have both gas and electricity readings. I phoned EDF who told me that, although the display had gone, there would be a reading stored in the meter. I asked for the meter to be rectified but was told it would take 10 weeks. I was told that it would be quicker if I agreed to have smart meters installed. This would take six weeks. In the meantime my contract was coming to an end and the new one would be significantly more expensive. I switched supplier to save £400 a year. EDF then cancelled the smart meter installation so I still have no reading. EDF says they will now estimate a reading for transfer. How can I ensure the reading is fair?

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    aardvark56 wrote: »
    I am changing energy suppliers after poor service from EDF. I went to submit my online readings but found there was no display on the electricity meter. The gas meter was fine. However the EDF website will only allow you to enter readings if you have both gas and electricity readings. I phoned EDF who told me that, although the display had gone, there would be a reading stored in the meter. I asked for the meter to be rectified but was told it would take 10 weeks. I was told that it would be quicker if I agreed to have smart meters installed. This would take six weeks. In the meantime my contract was coming to an end and the new one would be significantly more expensive. I switched supplier to save £400 a year. EDF then cancelled the smart meter installation so I still have no reading. EDF says they will now estimate a reading for transfer. How can I ensure the reading is fair?

How would you establish waht was fair as you cannot read the meter?

As long as the start meter reading of the new supplier matches the end reading used by EDF, that's probably the best you will achieve.

More importantly, how will the new supplier know what to charge you since you have a faulty meter?
    You new supplier is going to love you moveing to them with a faulty meter. Lets just hope it's not one of the smaller ones that may attempt to charge you to change/repair the meter.

Good luck!
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    When was the last time you gave meter readings.

The more recent, the more likely the estimate will be accurate.

If the answer is "When I started with EDF", you're doing it wrong.

You'll still need to get the meter fixed to get accurate bills from your new supplier. If you're already switching, call them right now to get them up to speed so they can fix it ASAP.

Once you've got it fixed, give your supplier meter reads at least every quarter, if not every month. That way, even estimated bills from them will be based on reliable usage so will be more accurate than not.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmmm - Your EDF Fixed Tariff is coming to end and you want to Switch, but your Elec meter's reading panel has failed and EDF say it will take 10 weeks to fix the meter

WRITE to EDF heading the letter Complaint, pointing out that for 10+ weeks they will defaulting you onto their expensive Variable Tariff and are denying you your right to change supplier
    In view of this you expect them to continue charging your present Fixed Tariff rates until the meter is fixed

You don't need a stamp as the address is:
    Customer Service Team
    EDF Energy
    FREEPOST RRYZ - BG - YG
    334 Outland Road
    PLymouth PL3 5TU
  • aardvark56
    aardvark56 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I last submitted readings in Jan. It was when I was asked for the most recent readings I discovered the fault wit the meter.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thats why it's a good idea to read it at least monthly - you'd have noticed it sooner and only have a months worth to be guessed.

You would also have a good idea of what your average monthly consumption should be which makes it a lot easier to argue when a problem arises
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    When was the meter last read before January ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport