Free upgrade to BT Infinity

Hi,

I just received a letter from BT offering me a free upgrade to BT Infinity.

It says :-

'We are currently upgrading our broadband service in your area to make it faster. You will be upgraded to BT Infinity fibre optic broadband for no extra charge at a time that suits you. There will be no change to your existing contract term or charges - the amount you pay will remain the same.

It then quotes a phone number to ring and a code to use in order to arrange an engineer visit.

Anyone else seen this?

I am currently on Broadband option 3 (unlimited downloads) I therefore assume that I will be put on the equivalent service with Infinity.

Sounds too good to be true, any thoughts?

Comments

• Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    My thought would be to call the number and see what the score is.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    rubble2 wrote: »
    Hi,

I just received a letter from BT offering me a free upgrade to BT Infinity.

It says :-

'We are currently upgrading our broadband service in your area to make it faster. You will be upgraded to BT Infinity fibre optic broadband for no extra charge at a time that suits you. There will be no change to your existing contract term or charges - the amount you pay will remain the same.

It then quotes a phone number to ring and a code to use in order to arrange an engineer visit.

Anyone else seen this?

I am currently on Broadband option 3 (unlimited downloads) I therefore assume that I will be put on the equivalent service with Infinity.

Sounds too good to be true, any thoughts?

Hi,

And yes it's true. I too was on BT BB option 3, and I am now on BT Infinity Unlimited for no extra cost or extension of contract either.
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 546
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for both replies, have rung BT and it is indeed true.

VisionMan, As you have already agreed to this, do you know what the situation is when you come to renew your contract? will they maintain your contract price or will there be an increase as you are now using Infinity?
  • VisionMan
    Forumite
    rubble2 wrote: »
    Thanks for both replies, have rung BT and it is indeed true.

VisionMan, As you have already agreed to this, do you know what the situation is when you come to renew your contract? will they maintain your contract price or will there be an increase as you are now using Infinity?

I've been told by other BT customers it will then be full price. If this happens I'll go ballistic and pursue my complaint via the BT Mods, as I've never paid BT full price for anything. So it's a wait-and-see situation. ;)
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 546
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for that, I have spoken to BT and asked what happens at renewal time, they assured me that the price would not increase but I think we all know how reliable that information will prove to be!.

I suppose there is always the option of leaving if they don't play ball ( or could you downgrade again to standard BB?)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I've just had a call about changing to infinity,we will upgrade on Jan 29th,I was told it would be the start of a new 18 month contract but as we have only been with them for 3 months it's not a big deal.
    I just hope it's half as good as they said.
  • VisionMan
    Forumite
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    I've just had a call about changing to infinity,we will upgrade on Jan 29th,I was told it would be the start of a new 18 month contract but as we have only been with them for 3 months it's not a big deal.

I just hope it's half as good as they said.

Oh it rocks!
  • Its true,
    I have BT infinity installed last year. Nice Lady from BT suggested I could get it as a free upgrade and they would lower my line rental too. No brainer. Good product so far - but then I live quite close to the exchange.
  • Viscount wrote: »
    .....but then I live quite close to the exchange.

In the case of Infinity, the factor is now your distance to your nearest street box.

My ADSL speed was only 3 Meg down, Infinity for me is 74 Meg down.
    Dave. :wave:
  • OP - what price were you paying on BTBB option 3? They don't seem to have any unlimited BB option available on their website any more, just either 10GB or 40GB per month. Are you getting the unlimited infinity (advertised at £26 per month) for no extra cost?

We have had (unlimited) infinity for a couple of years now and upgraded to the "max 76MB" in November (although we only get about 53MB). The price was £26.80 and the upgrade was the same price (but advertised at £26). We just got our bill and they have increased the price to £28.35 from 5 Jan. I have complained (as it is still advertised at £26) and they have given us an immediate refund of 12 x £2.35 (£28.20). This is great but obviously I am interested to see if other people are getting it much cheaper and complain again! (changing to a different supplier is not an option as my DH needs it for work so we can't afford any down time or mess ups).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure