The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Vodafone to Change Prices from 11 Oct 2011

Comments

• My bill would be 40% higher on the new tariffs; however here is the transcript with customer 'services':

You: With the new charges from Oct 11th, my bill will increase by about 40% so I'd like the contract to be terminated
    Fenil: Ok, let me check that for you.
    Fenil: I can see that your price plan will not increase by more than 10%
    You: my previous bill will increase by 40% as I have out of bundle calls. Clause 11(b) is based on total charges
    Fenil: Let me check your account again.
    Fenil: If your base price plan line rental increases by more than 10% then only you are eligible for termination.
    You: Clause 11(b); the contract can be terminated without further charges if; "we increase your charges in the UK which have the effect of increasing your total charges (based on your usage in the previous month) by more than 10% and you write to us before the increase applies”.
    Fenil: Sure. Let me check with my supervisor.
    Fenil: this is the text message we have sent across to all the customers
    Fenil: However, I have checked that your price plan would not be effected..
    Fenil: We are not making any changes to your price plan
    You: what is my call rate from 11th Oct?
    Fenil: Your out of bundle call rate will be 35p
    You: you just said that it would not be changing !!!!
    You: it's 20p currently
    Fenil: Let me check again. Give me few more minute.

This is when I gave up. I'm writing to them instead.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    qpop wrote: »
    OFCOM weren't who I was referring to, to be clear I meant the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) - and specifically their legislation/guidance on unfair contract terms:
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/unfair-terms/guidance

i.e just because you write into a binding contract that any price rises are consented to automatically, doesn't make it so (in the eyes of the law at least)

I know you mentined OFT, but they'll refer to OfCom as the "owning " regulator.
  • qpop
    qpop Posts: 555 Forumite
    I should hope not, as the issue would be with the wording of the contract, which should fall within the "unfair terms" legislation. OFCOM should only get involved if the issue falls within their legislative remit.

Don't you just love QUANGOS :)

As an aside, the two industries I've worked in since being old enough to work are telecoms followed by finance. OFCOM comes accross as completely impotent, when compared to the FSA, regardless of how the FSA are portrayed in the news, they're the strongest (consumer focused) regulator we have in this country.
    I am an IFA, but nothing I say on this forum constitutes financial advice. Always draw your own conclusions and always do your own research.
  • Thinking I may check our data usage trend to see if it suggests we would go out of bundle at current pace/speed, and if so inform them it's to significant disadvantage under iv)

Of course a) they are unlikely to buy it b) I have no idea what pattern my data usage really shows or if there's enough to be statistically significant especially as the contracts vary from 1m to 9m old
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • Anyone who has written to voda heard anything back yet?

I sent a letter on the 15th (last Thursday) by 1st class - even if RM had not managed to deliver it next day i'd still expect it to have arrived on Monday at the very latest.

I think I'll give them a phone tomorrow. I want to get this issue resolved before my 'most recent bill' changes from July/August to August/Sept.
  • qpop
    Anyone who has written to voda heard anything back yet?

I sent a letter on the 15th (last Thursday) by 1st class - even if RM had not managed to deliver it next day i'd still expect it to have arrived on Monday at the very latest.

I think I'll give them a phone tomorrow. I want to get this issue resolved before my 'most recent bill' changes from July/August to August/Sept.

Did you try the CEO e-mail? I wouldn't advise trying to get much/anything done with the lower echelons of their customer services.
    I am an IFA, but nothing I say on this forum constitutes financial advice. Always draw your own conclusions and always do your own research.
  • I and many others managed to cancel their contracts with Orange about a year ago when they raised the prices to our detriment!

I'd love to be able to cancel but just gathering the facts together!
  • alliz
    alliz Posts: 101 Forumite
    i received the message on the 5th regarding price increase. Call CS on the 6 th and she confirm I will be effected and put a note on my account about it and she asked me to sent letter to Durham office. Send the termination letter request on 12th and email them the same letter. Today received my PAC on text without mentioning anything else only sorry for leaving message. Call CS to confirm I will not be charge termination fees this time this guy have no idea what I am talking about, don't even understand their own T&C saying he is not a lawyer, and that my bill will never increase by 10% with the price increase. He even dare to say that his colleague who left a note on my account don't know what she is doing. He also said that there is no way I can terminate without paying termination fees not even if they increase the price. I just give up at the end. Will wait for the reply letter from them as I am sure they will write to me as they have give me my PAC meaning they have response to my request on that letter.
  • qpop wrote: »
    Did you try the CEO e-mail? I wouldn't advise trying to get much/anything done with the lower echelons of their customer services.

No, just regular CS =/
  • qpop
    edited 29 September 2011 at 1:42PM
    No, just regular CS =/

webrelations@vodafone.com

Paste the contents of the letter into that contact box, and preface it with the fact that you've already posted it and not had a response.

I can not stress how important this is, guys, the lower ends of mobile telecoms customer services can't be trusted!

Having worked for Orange previously, even staff couldn't get a straight story out of any of them.

The only chance you have is possibly talking to retentions, as they tend to be the best trained/have the most leeway, but you're wasting your time talking to anyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure