PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

horrible taste from new kettle.

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi just_mini_mad,

There's an earlier thread with some ideas that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • digp
    digp Posts: 2,013 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    how about where the water from the tap tastes odd. even filtering it using a brita filter, but that just changes the taste.....
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    digp wrote: »
    how about where the water from the tap tastes odd. even filtering it using a brita filter, but that just changes the taste.....

Maybe it's you? :p Seriously some medical conditions and medications can give you a funny taste in your mouth: if it's subtle you might only notice with plain water. Or do other people notice it from your house/ tap too? If so could be the pipes?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • digp
    Combo Breaker First Post
    others notice it too! can anything be done about the pipes?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    others notice it too! can anything be done about the pipes?

Get a trusted plumber in to replace them. I say trusted as you want someone to be honest about whether this will actually make a difference, since it may be the pipes need replacing outside as well as in the kitchen which is a mega-job.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • I agree with bicarb or try boiling some in the kettle - empty - boil fresh water - empty and repeat if necessary
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    We bought our kettle over a year ago and had the same problen ,the water tasted of plastic even though it had no plastic parts .
    We have found that if we only boil the water once and discard all the water left ,instead of 'topping up' the next time we boiled it ,then it is ok .
  • digp
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Get a trusted plumber in to replace them. I say trusted as you want someone to be honest about whether this will actually make a difference, since it may be the pipes need replacing outside as well as in the kitchen which is a mega-job.

Are the pipes outside the responsibility of the water company?
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Are the pipes outside the responsibility of the water company?
    Only after they join the mains supply
  • Theres nothing worse than 'breaking in a new kettle ' I too hate the plastic taste so invested in a stainless steel one.Bit dearer but well worth the extra.I have a plastic one tucked away in a cupboard for emergencies but I treated it with soda bicarb before I put it away It was one we bought a couple of years ago whilst on holiday as the caravan kettle had blown up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure