How expensive is bottled gas?

We're thinking of switching to lpg from solid fuel. We only need to run a 4kw fire and a cooker from a 19kg gas bottle but no-one can tell us how long the gas bottle is likely to last. I've been in touch with Calor and a local gas supplier and a local shop that sells gas fires. All of them just shrug and say it shouldn't cost too much to run but that's not much help. Does anyone here run anything similar and can you help please?
Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:

Comments

• In the winter about a week.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Better off getting a 47, we had a 4kw catalytic fire that we used to run during the winter, a full bottle lasted us a good 3 / 4 months. On the cooking side of things we have used them to do the gas hob, a 47 ran our hob for nigh on 18 months.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • mrsyardbroom
    mrsyardbroom Posts: 1,946
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Unfortunately we don't have room for the 47kg cylinders. If a 19kg cylinder lasted 4 weeks it would cost us around £8 a week. If it only lasted a week it would cost us around £32. We are currently paying £30 a week for coal.
  • Unfortunately we don't have room for the 47kg cylinders. If a 19kg cylinder lasted 4 weeks it would cost us around £8 a week. If it only lasted a week it would cost us around £32. We are currently paying £30 a week for coal.

like all fuel the answer is cheap in summer expensive in winter
    a 47 last us 2 weeks in winter upto 4 months in summer but thats all central heating and all hot water
  • mrsyardbroom
    mrsyardbroom Posts: 1,946
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've just had a reply from Calor which should help anyone who's thinking of switching to lpg. They say,
    Calor offer an installation service for fixed LPG fires. Initially we would need to carry out a survey which would cost £35 + VAT. This fee would then be taken off the total cost should you then go ahead with the installation.

It is difficult to estimate the running costs of such a fire. It depends on the KW output of the appliance and how often you’re running it. The cost of LPG though is around 7/8 pence per kilowatt.

That will give a good idea of how much it will cost to run a fire.
  • The_mangler
    The_mangler Posts: 275 Forumite
    Our 47kg bottle lasts about 8 months and thst just a gas oven and hob - it costs us £70 :(
    I don't know if I'm getting better or just used to the pain.
    Bipolar for all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport