Is it acceptable to haggle in a charity shop?

Poll started 17 Feb 2014

Haggling sits up there with comparing prices, vouchers, codes and deals in the MoneySavers' shopping skills arsenal. However, is it still permissible when it's decreasing a charity's take?

Is it acceptable to haggle in a charity shop?

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nope they are struggling as well - the charities that is
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    No. Did used to volunteer in a charity shop and though it was plain rude.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • I think it is totally wrong to haggle in a charity shop. especially a Hospice one. well no infact any charity shop regardless
  • kelty
    kelty Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When money is tight every penny can make the difference and for some haggling is a necessity
  • Many charity shops are running the shops as full businesses.They buy stock from auctions and get reduced or free rent/rates. They compete with businesses that have to pay these costs. The staff at the top of the chain get very high wages. I have noticed brand new items from shops like primark, where they are marked up higher than the original prices. I have haggled and would do so again. However if it was an individual shop aimed at a local cause, I wouldn't.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The stores operate as profit centres, often buy in products in order to compete with other local businesses. Some of the larger chains sometimes charge absurdly high prices (to the extent it's cheaper to buy new than to buy their second hand goods.) Why not haggle? particularly if you're supporting the charity in other ways.
  • Stinley
    Stinley Posts: 13 Forumite
    I have been to car boot sales where charity shops have had a stall or someone is selling their stuff in aid of charity. Generally I have haggled but have found that the stall holders point out that it's for charity and don't enter into haggling. I've never haggled in a charity shop, but if I think a price is too high then I would walk away rather than haggle. If I haggled then the charity would get the money for the item sooner, the turnover of stock would be faster and that would entice more people in. However a lot of charity shops are run by people who probably would not like to have to haggle with the customers so it's not really fair to them
  • Indie_Kid
    kelty wrote: »
    When money is tight every penny can make the difference and for some haggling is a necessity

Would you haggle in a normal shop?

I did come across someone who argued for a discount because "I shop here a lot". And? I shop a lot in other shops. I would not ask for a discount.

The prices are set by HQ, which depends on the brand, etc.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I wouldn't dream of haggling, you're giving to charity. It's like if you were to throw £1 into one of their collecting tins and ask for 50p change.
    I remember talking to one of the volunteers in a local charity shop and i was surprised when she told me that had a problem with shoplifters taking 2 items innto the changing cubicle but bringing out one.
    Expanding the thread a bit, can you believe shoplifters target charity shops.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Indie_Kid
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I wouldn't dream of haggling, you're giving to charity. It's like if you were to throw £1 into one of their collecting tins and ask for 50p change.
    I remember talking to one of the volunteers in a local charity shop and i was surprised when she told me that had a problem with shoplifters taking 2 items innto the changing cubicle but bringing out one.
    Expanding the thread a bit, can you believe shoplifters target charity shops.

Similar happened when I was volunteering. And then we had the ones who stol CDs and DVDs and put the empty cases on the shelf.:mad:
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family