Signing house over to children before care

Comments

• patm62
    patm62 Posts: 22 Forumite
    email from daughter. is this ok?

Hi, just spoke to my financial people here.

They said there are lots of things that can be looked into but at the end of the day as long as the agreement between your solicitor and my solicitor is legitimate then there will be no problems in the future.

We do need to agree though on if you will want more money. I will need a time line written in. ie no more for 5 years and only up to a certain value or whatever.

Plus if you die within the next 5-7 years then yes I will have to pay 40% on the value in inheritance tax. But if you survive then I won’t.

Also get the solicitor to put in the agreement that I can’t kick you out (!!) and that if I marry my husband has no claim on the pproperty.

Hope this helps.

N

x
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Plus if you die within the next 5-7 years then yes I will have to pay 40% on the value in inheritance tax. But if you survive then I won’t.

This won't apply as your estate is well under the IHT threshold.It is capital gains tax that will affect her, not IHT.

How much money do you actually want from the daughter?
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    patm62 wrote: »
    Also get the solicitor to put in the agreement that I can’t kick you out (!!) and that if I marry my husband has no claim on the pproperty.

This would not be binding. You cannot make an agreement in relation to a third party that is not party to the agreement.

You also cannot simply dispense with a spouse's matrimonial rights either, so this clause would be totally ineffective.

As soon as the daughter marries, her spouse becomes entitled to a share of the property and that share will increase in value the longer they are married.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You speak as though she has the cash. That being the case, why doesn't she just lend you the amount you need, making sure it goes in writing of course (it would still be cheaper than a conveyance).

No interest, and repayment to be as and when you choose.

The difference between lending and giving is that, should you remarry or cut her out of your will, the loan would still be a first charge on the estate.

If there's any flaws in that plan, I'm sure I'll be told right quick!
  • patm62
    yes i thought it wouldn't bind any future spouse of here. no she doesn't have the money, she'd have to take a mortgage. rents are high in dubai so she'll never have that cash. i'm beginning to wonder if i need the cash myself, but it wld be nice to have a decent car and some holidays, and i wld hate to leave all that money behind unused by me! she did come up with that she cld pay me some money every month and i just make a will leaving the house to her, which is hers anyway, no more kids, but then a little every month just gets frittered doesn't it? hmmmm.
    cheers pat
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    You could perhaps consider converting your mortgage into an equity release plan (How old are you patm?), so that you could stop making mortgage payments, and also take a bit more out for a new car etc.Say total 30k?

The thing you have to watch with equity release is the interest rollup - as you don't pay it back until you die or go into care, it rolls up over the years thus increasing the size of the loan.

So look for a low interest rate, and also low redemption penalties.

As long as the loan was fairly small, you daughter could later take a mortgage and buy you out of it if she wanted to, and you could of course "pay it off" by trading down to a cheaper property later (perhaps you will want something with less maintenance when you get older?).

Might be worth a thought.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think you really need to pause and think this through properly, Pat.

The situation seems to be that you are finding things a little tight while you are paying your mortgage and would like a little more disposable income?

Meanwhile, your daughter a) has surplus income and b) will inherit everything when you die (she must have surplus income if she can afford to think about a mortgage).

Strikes me the solution is staring you in the face: if £xx per month (or whatever) is what you need, and she can afford £xx per month, she pays it to you, rather than pay stamp duty, interest etc etc if she takes out a mortgage (living where she does, could she even get a mortgage on your house?).

The only thing to think about would be whether she needs anything in writing to protect her in case you two have a falling-out before you go, so to speak....
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There would definitely need to be something binding in writing and making a will is not enough to protect the daughter. Wills can be changed at any chosen time so while you might think at the moment there is nothing in the world that would make you cut your daughter out of your will, you simply cannot see into the future.

I would suggest that a loan evidenced in the proper form and secured against the property is the safest and cleanest option for all concerned. Assuming of course that she can get the loan herself in the first place.
  • patm62
    thanks for all your input, very helpful. i'm just turned 60, health so so. she suggested herself she could just pay me £200 or so a month and i make will leaving house to her, I have no other family so that's a given. it also occurred to me i would lose my £30 wkly pension credit, or about that, and my council tax rebate. but of course wldn't have to pay mortgage. just seems silly for me to sit on all this unexpected money, who'd have thought house prices wld rise so much? and not use at least a good bit of myself and just leave her the rest. it's not as if she expected anything. she' s going to but for £70,000 which is about all she can afford, which wld pay off mortgage and my credit cards, leaving me about £40,000 to do bits to house, like replace boiler for which i don't seem able to get grant, and put in double glazing. that won't leave a lot for cars and hols i know. she pays a high rent for her flat in dubai, and can hardly live broke over there, defeat the object of the exercise. you've certainly got me thinking, and believe me, that's no mean feat these days!
    cheers pat
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi

Do not know what your council tax benefit is but assume you are getting c £2000 pa from all your benefits?

You could earn upto £4500pa letting out rooms tax free.

Whether you get money from DD or lodgers, you would have to inform the benefits, so its the same.

This does not have to be screaming teenagers. My mother rented to another teacher who needed somewhere for a year while his kids finished their schooling back home. Another friend is on the books of the local theatre and has actors for weeks/months at a time. They tend to rehearse all day and come home late.

Also you are a young pensioner. Other options for increasing your income/getting a bit of fun in your life would be house-sitting, although I think agencies like couples (check this out). How about house swaps for holidays?

Just a few thoughts.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family