PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No Magic Money Tree....

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    This looks like a useful site http://www.rayburn-web.co.uk/buying-a-rayburn/handy-hints-and-tips-videos

It's well worth doing some research to see how you can get the rayburn to do more for you as Mardatha says. If you can do more with it, you may well find that your electricity costs go down. You may also be able to get the rayburn to run more efficiently. The ideal may be to replace the rayburn with an oil boiler, but in the meantime, work out how to get the rayburn to earn it's keep.

Can you get the annexe earning money again? You said the plan was for it to be B&B - do you have the option to do this? Or could you even just do ad-hoc self-catering lets via AirBnB? If it at least paid for it's electricity costs and was kept warm and dry that would prevent the fabric of the building deteriorating - and if it can contribute to your income, even better.

There gets to a point where costs can't be cut more, and ideally you want to work out how to get more money in rather than squeeze what little there is to out of the outgoings.
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    greenbee wrote: »
    This looks like a useful site http://www.rayburn-web.co.uk/buying-a-rayburn/handy-hints-and-tips-videos

It's well worth doing some research to see how you can get the rayburn to do more for you as Mardatha says. If you can do more with it, you may well find that your electricity costs go down. You may also be able to get the rayburn to run more efficiently. The ideal may be to replace the rayburn with an oil boiler, but in the meantime, work out how to get the rayburn to earn it's keep.

Can you get the annexe earning money again? You said the plan was for it to be B&B - do you have the option to do this? Or could you even just do ad-hoc self-catering lets via AirBnB? If it at least paid for it's electricity costs and was kept warm and dry that would prevent the fabric of the building deteriorating - and if it can contribute to your income, even better.

There gets to a point where costs can't be cut more, and ideally you want to work out how to get more money in rather than squeeze what little there is to out of the outgoings.

We did B&B for a bit, massive amount of work for just one room,I ended up doing most of it which was not the original plan :mad: I couldn't manage the ironing and cleaning now, the arthritis in my thumbs is too bad, too many one night bookings etc, 9 times out of ten clashed with my work day and in the end we needed the extra room back :(

OH is retired, he is supplimenting his pension writing articles for a magazine, I was very sniffy, they've taken five so far, and I discovered what humble pie tastes like. (Like chicken :D)

I can't take any more work on doing what I am currently doing, and this year has been getting very quiet which is a worry (sure we are about to have a massive recession) I've been looking around to see if there is ANYTHING else I could take on, but all there is seems to be care work, or shifts in shops like B&* or Mr T. I can't do any lifting at all at the moment, and I only manage what I do by getting OH to come and assist, so both of those out of the question, some days I cant keep a grip on a bag of sugar. The odd rare admin type jobs here, they usually want you to speak Welsh for....fair enough. Will keep my eyes peeled though after Xmas.

I ordered the 1p book - post was a couple of quid.
  • Re those admin jobs - could you "make a promise" to learn Welsh within 2 years or the like? Get the job/do it and take the risk they'd kick you back out of it after that 2 years and maybe they would/maybe they wouldnt/maybe the law would change and they couldnt anyway - but at least you'd have had the job for that 2 years?

There's always the chance that they would find you so good at the job that, at the end of that time, they wouldnt want to kick you out anyway (even if they could) because they didnt want to lose a good member of staff because of that "requirement".
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    The law won't change other than to require more Welsh in public and private services. It's in pipeline.

But on the positive side, I had almost no Welsh 2 years ago and can now email and text my colleagues and be understood.

Eve Myles just became fluent for a role in 7 months :)
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • Would love to see how they think they might enforce it anywhere other than the public sector:cool::)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Would love to see how they think they might enforce it anywhere other than the public sector:cool::)

If there's a business need for it, they make it a requirement of the role. If you're not up to scratch they sack you for failing to fulfil the criteria set out for the role, as with any performance management issue.

If private sector businesses need to service Welsh-speaking clients they'll need Welsh-speaking staff. If not, those customers will go elsewhere, to other business where they can communicate in Welsh.
  • Re those admin jobs - could you "make a promise" to learn Welsh within 2 years or the like? Get the job/do it and take the risk they'd kick you back out of it after that 2 years and maybe they would/maybe they wouldnt/maybe the law would change and they couldnt anyway - but at least you'd have had the job for that 2 years?

There's always the chance that they would find you so good at the job that, at the end of that time, they wouldnt want to kick you out anyway (even if they could) because they didnt want to lose a good member of staff because of that "requirement".

I like your thinking, I could just keep very quiet that I tried to learn for three years and it fried my brain LOL :D
  • stoozie1 wrote: »
    The law won't change other than to require more Welsh in public and private services. It's in pipeline.

But on the positive side, I had almost no Welsh 2 years ago and can now email and text my colleagues and be understood.

Eve Myles just became fluent for a role in 7 months :)

I'm mighty impressed with your progress. I take my hat off to you. I'd desperately love to master it, it found it fascinating but I just don't have that bit in my head....
  • greenbee wrote: »
    If there's a business need for it, they make it a requirement of the role. If you're not up to scratch they sack you for failing to fulfil the criteria set out for the role, as with any performance management issue.

If private sector businesses need to service Welsh-speaking clients they'll need Welsh-speaking staff. If not, those customers will go elsewhere, to other business where they can communicate in Welsh.
    Even a lot of the care jobs want Welsh speakers, which I understand, a lot of the older people want to speak Welsh.
  • Well some progress today. I bought the drying rack in and all my tea towels are drying in front of the Rayburn. : :D :

We had to bite the bullet and order more oil, because we won't get it before Xmas otherwise and it would be awful if we ran out, so got the minimum ordered, 500L but have discovered that you can buy it at the garages (I didn't know that) and have been offered 4 X 25 L containers. So NEXT time if we don't have a cash surplus we can just get enough to tide us over. That's good isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure