Horror stories?

Options
So I'm just thinking about having a bit of a stooze (is it a noun too?), and I've noticed that while this forum seems full of useful advice and success stories, there's not much mention of when things go wrong.

So... has anyone been caught out? Ended up paying interest that wiped out the stooze profits? Application didn't come through in time? BT didn't happen in time? Credit card company rumbled you? Forgot to make a monthly payment? Don't be embarrassed, let's hear 'em ;)

Comments

• Richie(UK)
    Richie(UK) Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    Hi JC,

I only began my stoozing efforts towards the end of June so I'm still very much a novice stoozer. However, I suspect that there will be relatively few horror stories - the individuals who decide to undertake stoozing are likely to be meticulous in the approach that they take. This means spreadsheets, or hand-written records, detailing every aspect of each transaction and, in particular, the end of the 0% period and when the full amount of the outstanding balance needs to be settled.

Lets see what stories you get. :)
    «««¤ Richie ¤»»»
  • Jacster_2
    Jacster_2 Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I've been stoozing for 5 months, so about to move off my Egg anniversary, and begin first round of card changes proper in January.

I did all my reading before I started and kept basic records, with dates in my diary.

peoplesrepublican then very kindly let me have a copy of the spreadsheet he uses (which is much better than mine! - thanks again!).

The key is organisation. All the reading tells you - if you know yourself well enough to know you can't be organised, don't do it.

Disorganised stoozing = horror stories.

I think the other thing to watch for is unanticipated life events coming along and taking your attention off it. So, if something happens in the family, etc, and stoozing is the last thing on your mind, and it's 'changeover time' then the organisation would probably go to pot...enter horror stories.

So none yet from me, but I think with organisation/diligence, I'll be OK.

HTH
    Jacster:D
    If it was easy, everyone would do it!
  • Clariman
    Clariman Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JaffaCake wrote:
    So I'm just thinking about having a bit of a stooze (is it a noun too?), and I've noticed that while this forum seems full of useful advice and success stories, there's not much mention of when things go wrong.

So... has anyone been caught out? Ended up paying interest that wiped out the stooze profits? Application didn't come through in time? BT didn't happen in time? Credit card company rumbled you? Forgot to make a monthly payment? Don't be embarrassed, let's hear 'em ;)

Hi Jaffacake

If you are thinking about stoozing and wondering what the pitfalls might be, take a read at http://www.stoozing.com/risks.htm

Clariman
    Author of the first Stoozing FAQ on the Internet and Creator of the SOA & Snowball calculators at Lemonfool.co.uk
  • carl310166
    carl310166 Posts: 747 Forumite
    Options
    Jacster wrote:
    Hi

I've been stoozing for 5 months, so about to move off my Egg anniversary, and begin first round of card changes proper in January.

I did all my reading before I started and kept basic records, with dates in my diary.

peoplesrepublican then very kindly let me have a copy of the spreadsheet he uses (which is much better than mine! - thanks again!).

The key is organisation. All the reading tells you - if you know yourself well enough to know you can't be organised, don't do it.

Disorganised stoozing = horror stories.

I think the other thing to watch for is unanticipated life events coming along and taking your attention off it. So, if something happens in the family, etc, and stoozing is the last thing on your mind, and it's 'changeover time' then the organisation would probably go to pot...enter horror stories.

So none yet from me, but I think with organisation/diligence, I'll be OK.

HTH
    Jacster:D

HI,
    I don't mean to be cheeky,but would it be possible for me to get a copy of the spreadsheet you mentioned?
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • Jacster_2
    Jacster_2 Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    Options
    carl310166 wrote:
    HI,
    I don't mean to be cheeky,but would it be possible for me to get a copy of the spreadsheet you mentioned?

Hi,

I won't steal his thunder - peoplesrepublican did all the hard work!

If you follow this link to peoplesrepublican's thread, and pm him with your email address, he'll send to you.

Thanks again, PR!!:T

Cheers
    Jacster
    If it was easy, everyone would do it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business