PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much more money on top of the deposit do I need to buy?

Options
ruvaa
ruvaa Posts: 11 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 17 December 2017 at 12:38PM in House buying, renting & selling
I am currently saving for a deposit for my own place, I am looking at prices between £60,000 and £90,000 I don't have much knowledge about the costs at the moment apart from what I need for a deposit as I am only saving, I just wondered how much more money I need roughly on top of the deposit to buy my own place.
I am starting to wonder if it is worth it after going into some research about it :(.

Comments

• CommitedToChange
    Options
    Solicitors fees, possible mortgage valuation fees, survey fees, possible broker fees, buildings insurance, moving fees + emergency fund.

Rent/mortgage overlap

I'd say £2,000 min £3,000 + is better in case there are unexpected costs.
  • RM1985
    RM1985 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    It's worth you doing some quotes on the type of fees described above as they can vary.

I recently paid £995 for my mortgage fee which included the valuation fee and booking/arrangement fees. I chose to add this to my mortgage, so I didn't pay this up front. My legal fees were about £900. but the mortgage lender I used (Virgin) was offering £500 cashback upon completion, so that knocked it down. I sorted the mortgage myself so didn't pay any broker fees.

I like the compare the market website for mortgage comparisons because it gives a really clear breakdown of any costs included (i.e product fee, booking fee, valuation fees etc). There are also loads of conveyancing comparison websites out there for you to get a general idea of costs for legal work. With regards to homebuyers reports, costs depend on which type of survey you want.

If you want to try and save some money, you could look out for mortgage lenders offering cashback (provided they're offering you a good deal in the first place.)

If you can sort the mortgage out yourself, obviously you won't pay any mortgage broker fees. An estate agent once referred me on to their in-house broker who wanted to charge £600 in fees. Pointless for me personally, as the mortgage was straightforward and I organised directly with the lender.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure