student loan written off at 60?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Poolie
    Poolie Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    Options
    lawli56 wrote: »
    I have just checked my student loan agreements. Am I right in assuming that the first 2 numbers of the loan account number of each loan indicate the year that the loan was taken out?

If that is so then all my loans are pre-98 and I would have been 41 at the time of the final loan. So I can have them written off when I reach 60 in just over 2 years time?

Correct, the first two digits represent the year the loan was taken out.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I was wondering of anyone could help me I now have two sets of student loans...

The first taken out when I was in my 20's (pre 2006) I have paid these when working (i am currently a student so not earning enough to make contributions)... as far as I am understanding whatever I have left to oay will be wiped at 65 - is this correct?

then I have my 'new' loans, which will be written off 25 years after graduation in the April (which will make me either 55 or 56) is that correct? (and therefore hopefully still able to work - which seems to be 'too nice' of the current government TBH).

I am obviously hoping to get a job the day I graduate (hehehehe made me chuckle as I wrote it - I'm hoping that I can get one pretty sharpish though, I will hopefully still be working part time as I am now but when I have full time hours will have to give this up, as cannot be in two places at once)... As a qualified social worker I will be earning enough to make repayments - will they take one for the first loan, and then one for the second? Which I am totally happy for them to do, I would just like to know for budgeting reasons...

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • lawli56
    Options
    Poolie wrote: »
    Correct, the first two digits represent the year the loan was taken out.

Well thanks that's good to know, I wasn't sure what year I had taken out the last one. I thought they'd be hounding me for it into my grave! The first bit of good news I've had in quite a while.
    ~*Cely*~
  • Bonneville
    Options
    Hi, i graduated in 1998 with several loans, I have deferred year on year due to not earning the required amount. I am 50 next year, will my debt be written off ? And if so do student loans do it automatically or do I have to apply ?
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    Bonneville wrote: »
    Hi, i graduated in 1998 with several loans, I have deferred year on year due to not earning the required amount. I am 50 next year, will my debt be written off ? And if so do student loans do it automatically or do I have to apply ?

It should happen automatically but I'd contact them any way, just to be safe.
  • bigheadxx
    bigheadxx Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    Options
    Has anybody had their pre 1998 loans written off. I am about fives years off the 25 year limit and earning below the income threshold.
  • maddoglady
    Options
    If you provide evidence of disability benefit and are declared unfit for work...who needs to declare this, doctor or ATOS. If, still a later date, you were able to work, is the loan reinstated or once written of it's gone for good?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure