PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Curd cheese substitute

Howdy all. I want to make this cheesecake from her majesty Delia's collection but I can't get curd cheese anywhere. Nowhere sells it I've tried all the big stores.

Anyone know what I can use instead? Google's telling me different things.

Comments

• celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    I tend to use cottage cheese for things like this - I just leave it in a colander lined with a clean j-cloth for a bit to drain some of the water out then squeeze out the rest but twisting the cloth round it (hope that makes sense). If you then hit it with a handblender until it's smooth it looks exactly the same.

Don't know if it would work in your recipe, but it I have done cheesecakes before with it and it has always been fine (and cheap!).
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think its a case of Delia getting all posh again:D

All the cheesecakes I've ever made have had either cream cheese or cottage cheese in them.Personally with her calling it curd cheese I would say its cottage cheese

Lesleyxx
  • sallyrsm
    sallyrsm Posts: 339 Forumite
    You can make yoghurt cheese too... low fat natural yoghurt in a couple of layers of muslin, drain overnight...
  • Ianna
    Ianna Posts: 581 Forumite
    You're all stars! I'm trying it with drained out cottage cheese. And cursing Delia for not just blooming saying drained out cottage cheese ;)
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    morrisons had orkshire curd cheese last time i was there - apologies m- ke-board is pla-ing up and the letter after x won't work! don't remember the name of the compan- but the- make the nice solid cottage cheese in taller pots than the supermarket's own. think it might be called the -orkshire something or other
  • Ianna
    Ianna Posts: 581 Forumite
    Hey all I made this the other night and it was very heavy and dense - could I do anything to make it a bit lighter? Would using cream cheese make it lighter?
  • Hi

I am having the same problem Delia explains just click on the link below:

http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/curd_cheese,76,IN.html
  • Ianna wrote: »
    Howdy all. I want to make this cheesecake from her majesty Delia's collection but I can't get curd cheese anywhere. Nowhere sells it I've tried all the big stores.

Anyone know what I can use instead? Google's telling me different things.

I use quark generally for cheesecakes - most supermarkets sell it. Another similar alternative is cottage cheese - you can get it in a smooth version now, but you can also use the normal lumpy cottage cheese and sieve it.

Edit: oops, I replied to a really old OP!
  • innoc
    innoc Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 August 2009 at 9:12AM
    You can use Ricotta. Its almost the same. Otherwise low fat cream cheese.
    Don't bother messing with cottage cheese
    Here is the best recipe :T

Jewish Velvet Cheese Cake

480 gm curd or ricotta cheese
    1/2 tsp vanilla essence
    Juice and rind of 1/2 lemon
    50gm melted butter
    2 eggs separated
    50 gm caster sugar
    2 level TBS cornflour
    125 ml of soured cream

Separate the whites from the yolks and reserve. Put all other ingredients in the same order given into a bowl andbeat until smooth and thick. Whisk the whites until they form stiff, glossy peaks, then whisk in 2 teaspoons of caster sugar. Fold this meringue into the cheese mixture. Sppon into the 8" lined tin and with the chosen base. (If you use digestive biscuits with butter and caster suagar add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.) Firm sponge is nice.
    Gas 4, 350 F or 180 C for 30 minutes. The cake is done when the inch of filling adjacent to the rim of the tin feels firm to the touch. Cheese cakes continue toset as they cool. Leave to cool in a draught free place. I leave in oven with the door open. When cold, refrigerate until required. Serve plain or with sugared soft fruit.
    I usually grate lemon and lime rind on top.
    Note: It is normal for the cake to crack on the top
    Sometimes I double the recipe and use a larger tin for a deep cake.
    Enjoy, it is divine.
    B
  • INGREDIENTS:
    ==========
    • 2 pints (1.15 litres) Whole Milk
    • 4 tablespoons Lemon Juice
    1. Bring the milk to the boil in a saucepan. Immediately add the lemon juice and stir until the milk appears to curdle.
    2. The solids should be visibly separated from the whey.
    3. Strain though muslin or a clean jay cloth. Place the curds, still in muslin, in a tray. Put something flat on it, such as a chopping board, and weigh it down with something heavy. A large saucepan full of water is ideal.
    4. Leave for about 15 minutes. This squeezes all the liquid out of the curds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure