The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• I've just received an email from ICICI announcing:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    With effect from 7th of February 2008, the Bank of England's Base Rate was reduced from 5.50% to 5.25% .Following this change, the HiSAVE savings account and Term Deposit rates would be revised from the 5th of March 2008 as stated below:
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Current Interest Rate:
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6.41%AER / 6.23 % Gross[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Interest Rate with effect from 5th March 2008:
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6.16% AER / 6.00 % Gross
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Current BOE base Rate[/FONT]: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5.25%

Hope this helps.
    [/FONT]

Are ICICI still the best rate? I have about 12.5k with them. I don't need instant access but I need 30 days notice. (Basically, I stooged some credit cards that need to be paid off by Feb 2009)
  • macgyver
    macgyver Posts: 1,285
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There are other accounts like the New Kaupthing Edge which are better than ICICI`s 6.16% rate but remember many will drop the rates soon in March
    I wanted to thankyou a million times but its a shame that I can press the button just once :T
  • ED
    ED Posts: 617 Forumite
    Principality BS have dropped their e-SAVER to 6% (was 6.30%) - just in case anyone was considering it...?
  • alastair_h
    alastair_h Posts: 548 Forumite
    Bradford & Bingley e-saver(2) is dropping tomorrow (2nd March) to:-

from 6.4% AER to 6.15%, monthly 6.22% to 5.98%
    "Every Pounds A Prisoner "
    "Loyalty to the Best Interest Rate"

:beer:
  • Good old Bradford & Bingley still haven't got the common (as opposed to greed) sense to inform their customers a few days in advance of the change in rates. Unlike ICICI that emailed everyone late last week to say that was the case from the 5th March on their savings accounts. You know it occurs to me that when I have encountered any Indian businesses they have never struck me as being arrogant and condescending as some of this home grown companies we deal with. Always happy to try and please the customer and to boot; Tollfree numbers that are answered promptly. B&B take note!
  • Ive just found out that you can only pay money into Kaupthing via BACS or CHAPS .BACS is only free if you deposit £5000 or under,otherwise Barclays charge £30.
  • CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ishinryu wrote: »
    Ive just found out that you can only pay money into Kaupthing via BACS or CHAPS .BACS is only free if you deposit £5000 or under,otherwise Barclays charge £30.

£30 sounds like a CHAPS charge. Not come across a restriction on the amount you can transfer via BACS before - some company banking accounts have limits placed on batch submissions but not saw this on personal banking. Presumably if you're right then you could do multiple BACS transfers of £ 5000 to work around this problem?
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • ED
    ED Posts: 617 Forumite
    Channel 4 News (March 3 evening) shed worrying light on Iceland-based (+ other non-UK) savings facilities...
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,562
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Now I don't know where to go. I Have more than 35k in Icesave so wanted to at least remove some to elsewhere. I don't want to use another foreign bank - I opened online with Bradford & Bingley but hear they are considered shaky and just dropped their rate. I opened with Principality but again hardly hear glowing praise for them around here and some suspicion of them.
    I just want an online preferably monthly interest account - with a reasonable rate - with a UK bank that hasn't got the "wobbles" or is flagged as suspect?
  • rarrarrar
    rarrarrar Posts: 142
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    CannyJock wrote: »
    £30 sounds like a CHAPS charge. Not come across a restriction on the amount you can transfer via BACS before - some company banking accounts have limits placed on batch submissions but not saw this on personal banking. Presumably if you're right then you could do multiple BACS transfers of £ 5000 to work around this problem?

HSBC, Tesco among others limit BACS transfers to 10k per day per receipient.
    First Direct dont !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure