PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to remove smells from car upholstery

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    IF you know someone with a vax I found them to be brilliant on even a mouldy interior. There was another post about smelly cars but my internet connections playing up so can't search, sure someone else will manage it......BGs where are you :rotfl: ?
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Penny should arrive shortly. She's probably feeding the pigs. :D
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    AussieLass wrote: »
    Penny should arrive shortly. She's probably feeding the pigs. :D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :p

There are loads of older threads on cleaning car upholstery. I'll merge this one in.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Our 3mth old daughter decided to throw up over our sofa. It was quite spectacular. Anyway I used Ambersil Auto Groom foaming upholstery cleaner. It was recommended to me by a professional carpet and upholstery cleaner many years ago (when I was a student!!). It works a treat and has a nice apple fragrance which gets rid of the stale milk smell.

Hope this helps
  • Try sprinkling baking soda in the car, then put a cup of white vinegar in the car and leave overnight. Usually gets rid of harsh smells.
  • So, hilariously, the dog was copiously sick in the car today, during a long journey. This has led to the OH currently removing the passenger seat to get at it all, and swearing that I'm never allowed to drive it again.

It's now clean, but still smells of dog sick, which is, in part, comprised of milk :lipsrseal.

I know that you can sprinkle bicarb on the carpet to take up the smell, but does the carpet have to be dry? I have the feeling that if I do this and make a gooey mess out of the carpet both me and the dog will be skinned.

Any help appreciated :smiley:

T xx
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Make a paste out of the bicarb and spread over the <ahem> stain and leave to dry. Should absorb the smell and can then be vacuumed up when completely dry.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Vodka is your friend :D, (cheap old stuff will do ) scrub some into the stain, then reapply neat vodka and allow to dry, should get rid of all smells, and any left overs can be drunk :beer:
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    works redruby - but you have to use the 'good' vodka! or alcohol from chiemist!
    tried the cheap stuff - and had to use bicarb after that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure